ignition key problem?

Hello, I have a `97 SC2. Lately, sometimes, when I turn off the car and come back and try to start it the key just won`t turn. I do release the presure of the locking steering wheel but it still won`t turn. I sit there like for 5 minutes trying and trying. Taking out the key and puttin it back in....trying to turn it. Finally out of the blue it will turn and the car will start. I have several keys to this car and have tried all of them when this problem occurs. Same result. It might go days when it doesn`t happen and then all of a sudden it does it again. Car has 40k on it. Thanks for any info. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

Sounds like a lock cylinder. better replace it now, while you can still get the key to turn at some point. If not, your looking at a job that will take MUCH longer then should. I say this, because you need to turn the key to the ACC position inorder to get it out. If the key wont turn you will have to beat it out, maybe even drill it out. If all else false, you have to replace the whole housing and lock cylinder.

hope that helps

Jeremiah

Reply to
uknewwho

You've got that right! Having to drill out the stuck cylinder is definitely a bit**. Had to do that once on a Ford. Was stuck out in the boonies in the wee hours of the morning when the ignition cylinder jammed. Luckily I had my tools with me. I couldn't free or remove the jammed cylinder... so on to plan B. Was able to hacksaw the 1/8" diameter pushrod between the ignition switch at the foot of the column and the cylinder (later repaired it by soldering a sleeve in place to hold it). Reached behind the column and pushed the rod by hand to turn on the ignition and start the engine. Then the steering wheel couldn't be replaced since the steering lock was a pawl that engaged the steering wheel. I drove home with a vise-grip on the steering shaft. Not the safest, but dire times often require unique solutions. I was lucky, at least, that the steering lock was that way. Many cars have a locking pawl that engages directly on the steering column shaft. That would have been a real bear to bypass. Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

my room mate had same problem with his Saturn, had to replace the key /lock mechanism. He had it done at the dealer. E

Reply to
EDeneen

Thanks for the info. Will get the whole mess replaced. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121