ION 3, 2003 - pwr stg alarm

My 2003 ION 3 this morning suffered from power steering failure for about 10 minutes.

Temperature: -12C The car is parked outside. Started the car ok and moved it down the driveway. Let it warm up (about 15 min) and turned it off. Short while later (15 min or so) I started it and noticed steering was hard and message centre displayed PWR STG message. Had to run an errand so drove the car for about 10 min with unassisted steering. After engine off for about 2 hours I started the car and found there was no steering problem. After several short trips the steering problem has not reoccurred.

I hesitate to shop the car for an intermittent problem. Anyone suggest what might have happened? Is this a known issue?

Thanks...Chris

Reply to
Chris Seal

Hey Chris,

I've had this happen once myself and I know there have been threads here as well. With all the computers involved in a modern auto, occasionally there is a glitch on "boot up" that causes things like that. In my case, I shut off the car, restarted it and everything was fine. Never happened again since.

If it becomes a recurring problem or a "reboot" doesn't fix it, then it is definitely time for a visit to the shop. (Personally, I think it is just the installed Windows Auto Edition acting up :P)

Michael Halliwell

Reply to
Michael Halliwell

On my Ion 03 that message center gave me a SERVICE VEHICLE when I started the car,my fingers slipped,must of created a false condition,after coming back from the store,turn off the car,then turned the key & it read normal,so,what are you going to do?.

Reply to
teem

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the input. I had mentioned the temperature thinking that might be a contributory cause. I have noticed that when the overnight temperature has been down to near -30C in past years (I'm in Ottawa), and the car is parked outside, that starting the car and driving it within a minute or so of starting it, I believe the ABS doesn't work until the engine compartment has warmed up a bit.

My wife drives it mostly - she'll just have to develop bigger arm muscles if it happens a lot. (No, she's not the lady who can carry a case of 24 under each arm and still get her hands in her pockets!)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Seal

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the input. I had mentioned the temperature thinking that might be a contributory cause. I have noticed that when the overnight temperature has been down to near -30C in past years (I'm in Ottawa), and the car is parked outside, that starting the car and driving it within a minute or so of starting it, I believe the ABS doesn't work until the engine compartment has warmed up a bit.

My wife drives it mostly - she'll just have to develop bigger arm muscles if it happens a lot. (No, she's not the lady who can carry a case of 24 under each arm and still get her hands in her pockets!)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Seal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't even joke about such! :-)

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Hey David,

You know that's the next thing on Bill Gates' list of ways to take over the computing world :) Personally, if I got a vehicle with a MS operating system, I'd have to hack it and convert it to Linux ;)

Michael Halliwell

Reply to
Michael Halliwell

SEE THE DEALERSHIP THE ELETRIC STEERING UNIT NEED TO BE REPLACED,, HAD 4 SATURN ION WITH THE SAME PROBLEM, REPLACE THE UNIT-ZERO COME BACKS-SATURN TECH

Reply to
LOOKYDEALS