2001 VW Diesel Beetle - Hard Starting

My 2002 VW Diesel Beetle started just fine at 26 degrees F temperature after being parked for 10 hours. Drove it 1/10 mile. Stopped and turned it off while running an errand. Upon trying to re-start it after about a 5 minute errand, it made a "starting" sound, but would not start. Turned the key "off" all the way and tried to restart several times after the glow plug light turned off. It wasn't until I let it rest for about 15 minutes before it that it finally started again. It ran just fine for an one hour commute home. Upon returning home, it started again just fine when testing the "start" again. Any ideas what might be going on? should I be concerned or wait for a dash warning light to signal a problem???

Reply to
kbob

I would first think fuel gelling. Have you added a fuel conditioner yet? Make sure it has anti gelling additives.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I disagree. First, 26F isn't cold enough. I doubt that even diesel for the tropics would gel at that temp. And it doesn't fit with comment about "letting it rest for 15 minutes" and then it started.

Secondly, the problem occurs after the car has been run recently. Gelling would be most likely to happen on the first start of the day.

The original poster said it "starting sound". But what kind of sound? Does the engine turn over as quickly as normal? If not, then suspect the battery or the charging system.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

My '02 Jetta wouldn't start once because of a bad EGR valve (stuck open?). It never restarted like the OP's, though.

Reply to
Wakeley Purple