L300 wagon rumble

My father bought a new L300 wagon with the V6 a few months ago. Nice car but the only thing I find obnoxious about it is the engine rumble when idling. Changing to neutral doesn't affect it. Turning off the ac doesn't change it either. It is a very loud low pitch hum thru out the car at idle. It is something that I would expect of a 4 cylinder engine, not a 6 and even with a 4, usually switching the automatic to neutral will change the idle speed slightly and eliminate it. Was wondering if this is a normal sound with the car or should I have my father get it checked. Fortunately for him he has lousy hearing even with 2 hearing aids turned all the way up.

Reply to
Art

How many miles? Check your spark plugs, wires, and engine mounts to rule them out. Also make sure all the routine maintenance items like belts and the fuel filter are kept up.

Reply to
Blah Blah
1400 miles. Nothing should be worn out for a long time.

Reply to
Art

My 2001 lw300 is beautifully quiet idling. There is only the slightest belt noise from the serpentine belt.

Since it is under warranty, ask at Saturn service about this... and be persistent. A wishy-washy customer is rarely taken seriously.

Reply to
Oppie

It sounds like an engine or exhaust component may be rubbing on something. It is definitely NOT normal.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder