Low throttle hesitation

I just put a new (junkyard) engine in my 92 SL2. At idle and above 1/2 throttle it runs like it should. But at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle the car just doesn't want to go, kind of chuggs or hesitates. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Not worth shelling out wads of cash to the dealer to diagnose. It has new plugs, and i checked the tps and it is o.k. Thank you

Reply to
Carjunky via CarKB.com

Hi - just noticed your question and thought I might TRY to help.

I'm thinking in two completely different approaches here:

First, how is the fuel pump? Do you know if there were or ever have been any problems? Do Check the fuel filter. Are you using the old fuel injection system from the original engine?

Second - check the resistance for every sensor unit. The computer might be making the car run "out of whack". O2 sensor, MAP sensor (does the shift light come on as it should? when it should?) and Throttle Position Sensor (TPS reports?). You probably want the documentation to reference these - got a manual and good digital volt/ohmeter?

My experience with SC2's behaving badly have typically been the engine coolant temperature sensor which is independant of and located just below the "display engine temperature" sensor that runs the temp needle in the dash.

-DC

Carjunky via CarKB.com wrote:

Reply to
wavy

well to answer your fuel questions, the fuel pump and computer is as old as the car and the fuel rail and injectors did not come with the engine, i swapped off the engine i removed. I just finished replacing (took off the old engine) the MAP sensor, coil pack, and EGR valve. the problem still persists. As far as the CTS, is that just on the left side of the throttle body into the block behind the EGR valve? And the TPS i checked to be O. K. for voltage (.6V at idle up to i think 4.6V wide open). But why would the CTS cause a hesitation? Do you believe the o2 sensor should be replaced next?

I have parts from the old engine i can easily swap so if you could give me more suggestions i would greatly appreciate that. Thank you for your help!

Kevin

Reply to
Carjunky via CarKB.com

Oh. and the shift light comes on at redline, but not during normal driving.

Reply to
Carjunky via CarKB.com

hello sounds like it is getting to much air at throtle body. check your vacume harness on top of throtle body and vacume lines for leaks. dirty throtle body will cause some hesitation.

Reply to
justastreekin

THATs RIGHT... I've forgotten about the basics like vacuum leaks... Too much focus on the hard stuff maybe?

Oh, but the shift light SHOULDNT come > Oh. and the shift light comes on at redline, but not during normal driving. >

Reply to
wavy

Well, hesitation might be caused by an over-riching the mixture - which the engine computer easily has the ability to do "if it feels like it". If the mixture is off, you might experience un-successful combustion (i.e. engine misses or stumbles). It might even weaken the sparks effectiveness or strength. (Too much fuel functions as insulation I heard somewhere ?)

You might also want to see if you can differentiate between initial "open mode" operation and closed loop. Typically your engine doesnt become lapdog to your engine control unit until its all warmed up. I think this can usually be noticed by a drop in the idle rpm. As reported by the r/f from my spark wires to my fm radio, in open mode - ignition voltage is at "maximum". IF it is staying in "open loop", theres somthing wrong somewhere!

(any engine codes? 'check engine?)

coolant and intake air temperature sensors should measure

at 60 deg. f - 3.9k to 4.5k ohms at 120 deg. f - 1.0k to 1.1k ohms at 160 deg. f - 430 to 480 ohms at 200 deg. f - 215 to 255 ohms (location under front flange edge of EGR unit) You'll probably need to make nifty insulated pin grabbers and use a mechanics mirror to guide them on.

crankshaft sensor 700 to 900 ohms

AND - 1996 & Later use Two O2 sensors, the second located just downstream of cat converter. they generate no voltage until reaching 600 degrees. Then the signal varies between

0.1 volts at high oxygen and lean mixture burn to 0.9 volts at low oxygen and rich mixture burn.