Adjusting torsion bars to correct front end sag

I recently spent some time on the front end of my 1981 2wd pickup – installing new shocks, a steering damper, and tightening the nut that controls free play in the steering. Handling is noticeably improved!

However, I realized that there is some sagging in the front end, towards the passenger side tire, which I had overlooked up until now. When parked, the rubber stops between the control arms on the passenger side are resting on each other. On the driver side, there is some space (I should have measured that, but didn’t.) When the vehicle is on jackstands, the passenger side tire hangs lower than the driver side tire.

I checked out the adjustment bolts on the torsion arms. On the passenger side, there is about 2.5 inches protruding, on the driver side, about 2.25. The gap between the bumper stops on the two sides appears to be larger than the difference in the adjustment of the torsion arms, suggesting some wear.

I have never tackled this particular suspension issue before, so here are my questions for the group:

Are there components beyond the torsion bars that might be contributing to this sagging situation?

Is it reasonable to assume I can level the front by just adjusting the torsion bars?

To raise the passenger side, do I tighten or loosen the adjustment nuts?

Conversely, to lower the driver side, do I tighten or loosen the adjustment nuts?

Thanks in advance!

Eric

1981 Toyota Pickup
Reply to
Strollingbones

Here's the procedure for that adjustment on a 4WD pickup, not sure if its identical on the 2WD or not:

Roger Brown