Overheating SL2 Problem

Hi all, my '97 SL2 has been overheating over the past 2 weeks. I was driving on the hiway at about 65, came to the exit ramp, idled at the stop light for about 45 seconds or so and the needle shot to HOT. I thought that driving it a few more blocks might cool it off, but it was stop & go traffic, unfortunately. Well, I pulled over into a commuter lot and the coolant started spewing out of the tank. Long story short, I had it towed home and started it in the driveway and within 10 minutes it began overheating..but, and here's the part I don;t like-slight water vapor was coming from the tailpipe...any suggestions? Thanks! Jay

Reply to
bajazza

First, is the coolant fan running when it shows the engine is hot? Does the coolant fan work if you turn on the A/C? Possible stuck or partial stuck thermostat? Worse case sinerio, bad head or head gasket. Check your oil level, and be sure no coolant is getting into the crankcase.

James

Reply to
James1549