Oxygen Sensor 1997 Saturn SL 1 Question

I have a 97 SL 1 with the 1.9L engine and I have a question. Got 96k on it and the check engine light it on. I know I am overdue changing the Oxygen Sensor. Does this car have one sensor or two? I see the one on the manifold, is there one by the catalytic converter? Also, would I do better buying one of the 02 sensors made by Bosch or should I go to the dealer and get a stock one(ouch). Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

G.

Reply to
Guntier C.

Get the code read at a local Autozone for free before you buy an O2 sensor. In our case ('96 SL1 same engine as yours with 114K miles), I also had suspected the sensor, but it turned out to be the EGR valve. I removed and cleaned the valve and then reinstalled with a new gasket. That was almost a year ago and no problems since then.

If you do find it is the O2 sensor, I've heard that Bosch can wear out/fail prematurely.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I would definately get the code checked first. I had mine in for an oil change and new tires and the garage I was at said there was something wrong with my exhaust but they weren't sure what. They advised me to take it to Saturn as my 98 SL1 was still covered by the emissions warranty at the time. The service guy at Saturn said they've had a lot of bad sensors ($160 job not covered by the emission warranty) but they would check it out for me. Turned out that my cat converter was bad so they replaced it and didn't even charge me for the code check. Been a year and a half since that and I haven't had any trouble since.

Reply to
Roy

Thank you both for all the info. Something told me to check the gas cap. I took it off, then put it back on. Guess what, did not have it on tight enough I guess. After a few minutes of driving the light went off. Light has been off for several days now. I am still going to get the codes pulled from Auto Zone.

Thanks again,

G.

Guntier C. wrote:

Reply to