PCV Valve - 94' SL2

Been reading pages worth of posts regarding oil consumption in older Saturns, and mine's no different. It's getting pretty darn bad now, with me having to add a quart every week or so. There's no leakage, no blue-smoke-of-death out of the exhaust, etc, and I've got more than

160,000k on it, so I'm assuming short of an engine rebuild I'm just going to have to suck it up.

However, I've read changing a gunked up PCV valve can help considerably. Can someone point me to where the PCV valve is located on this beast?

Thanks!

E. Reed

Reply to
E. Reed

...on my 97SL2 the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is on the cam cover.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Its on the back of the cam cover inside a little black hose. You pull the hose off the cam cover and the PCV valve is right there.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Found it! Thanks for the pointer.

Next question - the PCV valve is pretty gunked up, so I'm planning on getting a new one....but, I'm curious as to the state of this thing.

When I take the PCV valve completely out and shake it...should it sound like an empty spray paint can...with the valve loosely rattling back and forth inside? Or should there be some tension on the valve?

Like I said, I intend to replace it anyhow...but I'd like to know how hosed this valve really is....

E. Reed

Reply to
E. Reed

...I've heard the empty spray paint can thing - maybe someone else can confirm/correct.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

The valve should move freely and if you shake it will rattle slightly. Suggest you buy a replacement and shake it to see what it should look/sound like when in good operating condition.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

In other words, nobody knows.

I've been having the same mysterious oil consumption myself. I will tell you this, I replaced mine yesterday and it was also fairly nasty. It seemed like it was gunked up with old oil from the years and maybe that would have stopped it from opening or closing correctly. This was on a '99 SOHC model and it took about 30 seconds altogether. It's too early to tell whether or not consumption will be a problem, and I really haven't noticed any difference while driving, but it was nasty and needed to be replaced anyway. Couldn't hurt.

Reply to
_

re: chapter 4, page 5 (Chilton's 1991-1998 Repair Manual)

Under COMPONENT TESTING - I'll skip to steps 3 & 4

  1. Remove the PCV valve from the rocker arm cover, but leave it connected to the hose. With the engine at idle, feel the end of the valve for manifold vacuum. If there is no vacuum, check for a plugged or leaking hose, PCV valve or manifold port. Replace a plugged or damaged hose.

  1. Stop the engine and remove the PCV valve. It should rattle when shaken. If the valve does not rattle or it is plugged, replace the valve.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Thanks all. I did go ahead and pick-up/replace the PCV valve since it was only a couple bucks. The new one did indeed rattle like an empty spray paint can, just like the old one...so the old one probably wasn't that bad, yet. Key word being "yet".

I'm also waiting to see the results of my other tactics I've seen suggested in this forum. I went to 10w30 instead of 5w30, and I supplemented with a bottle of Gumout oil additive that is intended to prevent oil burn, help with worn rings, etc. The stuff was thick as molasses! Anywho, after changing the oil, filter, and using the additive my wee SL2's engine is purring like a kitten. Now to see if it ceases drinking a quart of oil a week...!

E. Reed

Reply to
E. Reed

I love it when people bitch at me for running 10w30 but then they won't hesitate to run Bardahls or another thicker than molasses in winter product to stop the oil consumption. Not saying this to you at all but just in general.

What do you people think that stuff does, and why is it so thick?

Reply to
BANDIT2941

FWIW I heard in different groups that other than OEM PCVs are problematic. The Saturn part is a few dollars more (if not the same price).

10W30 is a good idea...but I'm not sure about thickeners!

b_b

Reply to
brane_ded

But its funny how some people say its not ok to run 10w-30 or 10w-40 but its fine to throw a quart of this stuff in......... :)

Jamie

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I run 10w30 all year round(NY). Used to run 10w40 in the summertime before I fixed the oil burning.....

Reply to
BANDIT2941