Polymer Body Cracking

Own a L200 with 27k on the dial ... just visited the dealership for service and Service Manager drew my attention to a "scratch" on the bottom of the passenger side door. Closer inspection showed a 6 inch crack proceeding from the bottom of the door upwards.

Service Manager opened the door to look for a reason, and found the crack radiated from the fastener inside the door jamb area. He called over a tech, and got a torque wrench and carefully monitored the tension on the fastener as it was removed. VERDICT -- over torquing at the factory caused stress crack ... factory issue, and will cover for replacement of door, and repainting of right side as necessary to blend color.

Since it's a factory defect, they are also going to provide a "loaner" vehicle for the three or four days necessary to accomplish the fix. Who says they don't look out for the "little fella"???

Reply to
Mike Surwill

Mike, This is only the beginning. From '92 to '99, I owned 2 Saturns, a 92 SL1 and a 94 SL2. The SL2 I kept until 2003. Between the two cars I had 22 doors replaced due to cracks. Started from the factory installed doors and all the replacements done by dealerships. Good luck with your Saturn.

Mike Surwill wrote:

Reply to
tjiamb

Dang,,, and to think that my '92 still has the original 4 doors on it and are perfect...

James

Reply to
James1549

Maybe your dealer needs to learn how to use a torque wrench.

Reply to
Art