2005 f250 where's the plug go?

Just bought a new truck and dealer can't show where to plug in the factory supplied wiring harness for the electronic brake controller. Have they eliminated the plug for this??

Reply to
Tappersonc

First, I'd tell the dealer to get his act together. Any of his mechanics could just look it up on the service manual disk, and his service manager should know exactly where to look as well.

If your dealer is simply unqualified, check with the larger RV stores, like Campers World, for a tech that can point and grunt.

Historically, Ford put the harness/plug above the hump on the driver's side. The last few I've messed with were just laying loose 2-3 inches up from the bottom lip, visible with the fuse cover off.

I'm curious about the 2005s, since they're being offered with a factory controller - the harness may look different from years past, but it will still be behind the panel, above the hump.

Best Dave

Reply to
David Ward

Is this for an aftermarket brake controller? As far as I know the truck comes with a factory-installed trailer brake controller. That's one of the new features.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I believe the factory installed controller is an option.

Reply to
Mellowed

Yes it is a 2005 option and the cost is $235.00 in Canada unless you can work out a deal ? I have the new price list for 2005 . I hope it as good as they say ? Fox .

Reply to
R and L Catherwood

It is an option for $205. Otherwise if you order the tow package you get just the wiring kit, with blunt end wires.

Reply to
351CJ

I test drive an F350 with the controller on. It uses the trucks ABS to control the trailer brakes. I was on dry pavement but stopping over bumps you could tell the difference. I think it's well with the money.

Reply to
pete

I heard on an auto industry report on WWJ-950 here in Detroit that if the ABS is engaged, it automatically reduces the amount of braking power to the trailer, so the trailer brakes won't be as prone to locking up and fishtailing in a low-traction situation. Of course, if you are driving so fast the ABS kicks in on a slick surface with a 10K# trailer behind you, you probably don't have the sense to drive at all...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I think you are looking at it backwards. You always want the trailer brakes on a little harder than the tow vehicle. Otherwise, you may be looking at the trailer out of your side window.

message

controller.

Reply to
GW Bush

Of course, on normal surfaces that's what you'd want. I was just repeating what the report said on the radio. Makes sense, because if you are driving on a surface that is slick enough to kick in the ABS, the trailer brakes would otherwise lock up and you won't have any trailer brakes at all, and then you would jackknife.

Here's what it looks like...pretty slick.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If the trailer brakes lock up you may be looking at the trailer out the side window. Therefore, I would think that you would want the tow vehicle brakes on harder than the towed vehicle.

Reply to
Mellowed

I pull a trailer with my F350 most every day that I'm not running my dump truck. I tow a John Deere 240 Skid Steer, or a Ford 3930 tractor, or both. It's not so much about brake pressure as it is about timing. Sure, braking pressure is important, and as far as braking pressure goes, you want enough to offset the additional weight of the trailer and contents, but as far as timing, you want the trailer brakes to activate just before the tow vehicle brakes. The better brake controllers make both adjustments at the same time. I can't speak for the new "integrated system" I'm sure it is a slick system on the newest F350s, but the best aftermarket ones do this. I've been in lots of emergency braking situations, usually due to soccer moms on cell phones pulling out in front of me, or someone pulling into my "safety zone" but I've never "looked at the trailer out the side window" before. When trailer brakes lock up, it's more like you're dragging an anchor. Obviously, braking on ice or slick conditions is completely different, and has it's own set of rules, the most important of which is don't drive on it fast enough that a jackknife would occur to start with. Even when not pulling a trailer, my truck, (a dually) is a sled on ice, even in four wheel drive and a limited slip rear end.

Spdloader

"Mellowed" wrote in message news:eB5jd.5315$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Spdloader

Your comments sound good to me.

Reply to
Mellowed

You're right on. I owned an RV repair facility for years and have towed many trailers with aux controls in the tow vehicle. It's also nice to be able to reach down and apply brakes on the trailer (with certain controllers) and feel the braking power of the trailer (loaded if possible).

Reply to
The earnest one

Reply to
R and L Catherwood