Re: change in Saturn turning over

Fuel pumps are common problems for that Saturn.

Try this:

When you get in, turn the key to run. Don't start it, but listen for a soft humming (this is the fuel pump). When that humming stops (a few seconds) turn the key off and on again. You should hear more humming. Do this a few times. Then start the car.

If the car starts right up, you need to replace the fuel pump.

Talk to the dealer - they might cover part of the cost.

Forgive me for being unversed in both newsgroups and cars - we have a > problem that has just come up with our Saturn, and I'm looking for some > ideas. > > We have a 1997 Saturn SL. Typically it will start immediately without > putting a foot on the gas. In the past few weeks, however, we have had > to give it some gas to get it started, sometimes all the way to the > floor; otherwise it won't turn over. At times that doesn't help, and it > needs a 2nd or 3rd try. > > We just had the spark plugs replaced, the fuel filter replaced, and a > fuel injection service, simply because they were needed. None of these > things seem to have been the problem. Is this an electrical issue? Or > a fuel issue? If anyone has any ideas what may be going on, we'd > greatly appreciate hearing them. I'd like to address this before taking > a several hour trip. > > Thanks in advance, > > Al >
Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I got a recall notice in the mail from saturn about possible faulty fuel pumps that are in 97` Sc2`s. I am not sure if it was just for Sc2`s or all 97 saturns. It said to bring the car in if you are having hard starting problems.....wasn`t a general recall. They extended the warranty for this part, I believe, form the 3yrs or 30k to 7 yrs or 75k. Hard starting....ha ha . My car died in my driveway and I had to have it towed to a Saturn dealer. They said "yes the fuel pump is faulty" and they will replace it for free. BUT they would not pay for the tow job. I asked why do they not pay for the tow and they just said that replacing the pump was all that was required of them under the warranty. Dan

Reply to
Brigg222

...I had mine replaced under warranty, re: 97sl2 - I thought it was 6/75, anyway, mine was just taking longer to start and I didn't need a tow. I also had the letter which makes me think it was VIN specific.

starting....ha

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Oh, hey, that was MY call!

You're welcome, and I'm glad the group was able to help!

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen