Re: Metal flecks discovered during oil change

You'd better attach an oil filter magnet to stop circulating metal flecks into your engine.

will be affordable.

Try cutting open the oil filter spread the element out and see what is > trapped in there, check with a magnet for steel particles, see if you see > the same particles that were in the oil. > > > Change the oil & filter cartridge every 3,000mi/3mo myself on Saturn L300 > > (3.0 V6 DOHC 24V) using Mobil 1 5W-30 and Saturn or NAPA Gold filter > > cartridge since first change. > > At 21,000 mile oil change I was pouring out oil caught from removing the > oil > > cartridge (caught separate from crankcase oil), as sunlight hit the > plastic > > pan I was draining from. What I saw were many microscopic flecks of metal > > suspended in the oil. Maybe I had just never noticed this before, but it > > looked something like the oil from a lawnmower after its first oil change, > > where one would expect to find some suspended metal flecks. It would > appear > > that the oil filter cartridge caught the metal flecks, but short of having > > my oil analyzed by a lab (which analyzes oil from crankcase), any thoughts > > on my observation at this many miles since engine was "broken in"?? > Should > > I have it analyzed and if problems, take analysis to dealer while under > > warranty, at least so it would go on the record for this car?? > >
Reply to
SL

I'd sure check with a magnet too because it's a cheap test. You may very well find that what you see is NOT metal at all buy carbonized oil or oil that has crystallized (not a chemical definition). You see it all the time inside the engine and it too can be abrasive, but not like metal.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

On 16 Sep 2003 03:46:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@neverbox.com

If you suspect metal in your oil I would send a sample off for an analysis. Here are a couple of places that do it.

luck, MR

Reply to
MR

One thing with a magnet, though, is that it won't attract lead, aluminum, copper and other non-ferrous metals.

Best to get the sample analyzed to better narrow down your problem. Also, you might want to re-think your drain interval if visible bits are present.

--- Bror Jace

Reply to
Bror Jace

Cut open the old oil filter. You'll see what's what then. I have never seen metal in engine oil that didn't mean bearings were shot or some other catastrophic failure.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Correction - except for old style Mini engines. They have the transmission in the sump of the engine, share the same oil, and always throw a lot of crap into the oil. Unless you are using bronze syncro rings, all of the transmission garbage is magnetic.

Brian

Reply to
Brian