Saturn 1996 sc

There appears to be a broken spring in the tensioner. The drivebelt suddenly became loose and lost power steering and alt. and you can move the tensioner without effort. Is there a simple way to change the tensioner or is this a job for the shop? Ernie

Reply to
ernie

I replaced the one on my 94. It was a fairly easy job until I had to go to the hardware store to get the type of wrench I needed for one of the bolts. I believe it was a combination wrench with a small ratchet drive on one end. This was the only tool that fit in the space and had room to turn. So be prepared to get a new tool. To get the belt on or off you just turn the tensioner bolt that's in the middle of the tensioner to loosen the belt.

Fred

Reply to
Fred V.

You are right about new tools . I have a set of box end ratchet but they were a little short to reach the top bolt from the top side. I even removed the top motor mount. ( It didn't help much) but with my daughter's very small hands (her car) we got the top bolt in place and runni8ng. ernie

Reply to
ernie