SL1 Vibrating at 70-80 mph

My 2000 SL1 with 125k miles is making me obey the speed limit. At about 70 mph I the car starts to have a medium to heavy vibration that seems to be from the front end. While coasting along on a long trip I noticed it was gone once I hit 80 mph. Any ideas on the problem/how to fix it?

Reply to
tedmccaslin

Could be many things, but I would guess that you need your front tires rebalanced. I had this happen on one of my cars a while back, and didn't think about the balance because the tires only had 8K on them. Turned out one of the weights had come off. Anyway it's a good and inexpensive place to start....

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Yes check tire balance first and if it is still there check tires for broken belts.

Reply to
SnoMan

Tires (balancing) Front end alignment Worn bushings or ball joints Strut and top strut bearing. Tie rods or rack and pinion unit Engine/ transmission mounts

Vibrations like these tend to RIP OFF anything that is at present only loose! Git 'er done. There's nothing that can ruin your day like tooling down the interstate at

80mph and loosing a wheel.
Reply to
Oppie

Reply to
SnoMan

I am having this same problem with my 94 SC2 that just rolled over to

200,000 miles. It shakes the whole steering column enough that I can hear it rattle. Two weeks ago, I had brand new outer tie rod ends and lower control arms replaced and it didn't do anything for the shaking.

Yesterday I had to refill my power steering pump, and today had to refill it again already. so now I guess I have to find out if its the power steering pump or the rack that has gone bad. And I thought I was going to get new struts on it this weekend...LOL.

Lori Evans, Colorado

94 SC2 201,??? miles
Reply to
lovingcolorado

I think it is going bad (the steering pump/rack) from the shaking like the rods ends before it. Swap the front tires to the rear and see what happens before you change anymore parts.

Reply to
SnoMan