96 S-10 Blazer vibration noise

I have a 1996 small 4wd Blazer Vortec that is making a low pitch humming noise and vibration when you hit 60 to 75 mph. At 80 mph it stops. You don't hear it below 55 mph. I just did a 4 wheel thrust alignment on it yesterday for $100 along with a 4 wheel spin balance and it didn't help. It's really a low pitched humming aggrevating vibration and loud at speed and makes your ears hurt and mirror vibrate so bad that you see blurs in it . If I throw the truck into neutral it still does it when rolling. I try to turn up the radio so i don't go nuts or drive below 60 mph. I can't take a trip with it at all on the highway because my family complains of the noise. I'm running all season Goodyear Wranglers on it. The Chevy Dealer said it may be a universal joint but I had it changed in January when I bought the truck. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks, Scott

Reply to
sfritz

how are the tires? cupped? scalloped? worn on edges?

Reply to
®

'it' ???

there's more than one universal joint

universal joints usually act as you describe: at one certain speed (and it's multiples, if its low enough; 30,60,90, etc) it will shake the vehicle

take it to a shop that knows what to look for and how to fix it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
sfritz

hub bearings? might be the tread of the wranglers. try changing the air pressure to see if it changes.

Reply to
®

If you shift into 4 Hi does it go away?

Reply to
Rick C

Reply to
sfritz

Reply to
sfritz

possibly. usually they make a whirring or grinding noise more prominent when loaded on swerves or turns. if there is some play or wear there, that could cause the noise and vibration.

Reply to
®

try going straight then swerving (on a clear stretch of road) and see if the noise changes.

Reply to
®

Reply to
sfritz