slow reverse

New here, just acquired a 96 SL2. Has 138000 miles and been run pretty hard. Was a gift for the daughter though. Anyway car had a cracked radiator tank, needed a good going over oil, filter, trans service etc. Just finished it yesterday. New rad, new oil & filt, new trans filt (from saturn dealer), new trans cooler return line, fresh fluid. CAr is very slow to engage reverse. When it does slams pretty hard. Drive engages fine. Ideas? Larry

Reply to
jdoe

Did they/you fill the trans fluid properly? First thing to check is the fluid level by following instructions in the owner's manual.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
jdoe

...do a Google newsgroup search on "valve body" and you'll get lots of info. There used to be a suggested fix (other than replacing the part) over at

Jonnie Santos

Larry:

My Saturn dealer told me it was a bad valve body. They replaced it and it didn't fix the problem. It turns out that the > New here, just acquired a 96 SL2. Has 138000 miles and been run pretty hard.

Reply to
Jason

Reply to
jdoe

Larry:

I was hav> Were you having other "issues" or just this one symptom? I went to a trans

Reply to
Jason

Dang I have done lots of research on this and What sucks is the dealer or a good trans shop is the only way to check it. And even then the deal says its one thing and its something else. These tranny's are crap. I have same symptoms:

No reverse or harsh engage. Won't shift into 3rd or 4th sometimes when warm. Same trouble codes mentioned about no second or thrid gear. Sad thing is it could be the shaft nut or bushing or the valvae body or teh clutches or any damn thing you can think of cuz these transmissions suck

Reply to
jonnymcfly

Reply to
jdoe