96' SL2 With Reverse delay

I have a 96 Saturn SL2 with 55,000 miles on it. It started to have a delay of about 2 or 3 seconds when shifting into reverse. The forward gears are fine and it shift into drive fine. The fluid level is ok and doesn't smell bad. Any ideas what the problem is? Is it costly to repair? Thanks Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

I have a 92 that makes a thumping noise when you shift from foward to reverse It sounds like it might be the same problem. Would you pleaswe let me know what you find out? Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com

Reply to
Jeffrey

this is a well known problem with saturns from that ear, and it has been brought up in here 1000 times. The valve bodies on those saturns go. I think the valve body is around 500 or 600 US dollars, a bunch of money in labor. I had that problem around 100 000 miles and since replacing the whole transmission was 400 more, I ended up doing that.

Jeffrey wrote:

Reply to
Frank Ciuca