transmission oil??

Is there a big difference between Dextron III and Saturn Transaxle oil?? The always say if not available use Dextron III. I need to change the oil and filter on my son's 96 sc2 and was going to use dextron III but if saturn transaxle is better then I'll picl some of that up..

Thanks Phil

Reply to
p_vouers

same stuff. Dextron III is a spec type.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

I've had success using the Mobil Synthetic ATF with a stock Saturn filter (which are great and usually cheaper than aftermarket filters anyway). Both Dextron III and Saturn fluid failed to nullify the torque converter shudder my SL1 exhibited. I'm doubtful the Saturn fluid is worth the premium price over Dextron III no matter how much the parts guy at the dealer tries to sell me on it.

Reply to
escapenguin

good to know.. thanks all.. how do others feel about the mobil atf synthetic??

Reply to
p_vouers

Ditto on the Mobil 1 ATF. The Saturn fluid is just a Dextron III that meets GM specs that may or may not be tighter than what Brand X uses. Saturn's tyrannys are pretty temperamental and you will see an improvement switching to the Mobil 1. Steve

Reply to
Steve

"p snipped-for-privacy@goochs.com" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

I noted slightly easier shifts after switching over. But then the short throw shifter made that easier to tell.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

whoah, escapenguin, what you say brings up a possible answer to an old post. Please explain the "shudder" in your tranny and how synth fluid remedied it.

And not to hijack this post, but I have a '02 SC2, just recently started experiencing a "kick in the butt" when pressing/releasing the throttle at or near 2K RPM. I can also hear the torque converter whining what I feel is excessively, near 2nd gear. I have an Automatic tranny. No fun, not a smooth ride. Did you experience anything like this and did switching to synth tranny fluid help? TIA

marx404

Reply to
marx404

well I guess my next change (in spring) will be synthetic mobil1.. too bad this can't solve my son's problem with the old slam in reverse problem and saqturn no longer sells valve bodies just the whole assembly.

Reply to
p_vouers

I bought the car [2001 SL1 with automatic] used at a dealership and it seemed to be in great shape aside from some cosmetic blemishes. I didn't notice any shudder when I test drove it, but later I did. The car would vibrate heavily no matter what gear you put it in, except for neutral and park, of course. My girlfriend owns a *ahem* well-loved

1995 Ford Contour with almost 200,000 miles on it, and there I was, with a fairly new car that vibrated just as bad as hers. Can you say, embarrassing? She noticed it too. Weeks later, it started clunking when upshifting and would downshift with an eyepopping bang from 4th to 3rd under moderate to heavy deceleration. I checked the fluid and the level was fine but it smelled burnt, the filter was rusty on the outside. It was around the time for it to be changed (40,000--close enough to me) according to the manual so...

To summarize: no matter what Dextron III type of fluid I tried, the car behaved the same way. The Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF stock Saturn filter transformed the car. It shifts much more smoothly, very rarely shudders and generally doesn't act as though it's possessed as much. I'm not sure switching to synthetic would help you. The torque converter, AFAIK, doesn't lock until 3rd and 4th gear. So it's either releasing/engaging when it isn't supposed to or it could maybe be a shift solenoid problem or...a lot of different things. It's hard to say since my car has never done that specifically.

Reply to
escapenguin

The Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF stock Saturn filter transformed the car...

forgot to throw "and" in there

Reply to
escapenguin