Transmission swap

I'm going to be tackling a transmission swap in the next few days. 98 Saturn SL1 5 speed manual. What I'm wondering is if there are any tips or tricks that people have come across that might not be in the manuals. I have a Haynes manual that I will be reading through while I wait for the new tranny to get here. Anybody done the swap using a Haynes manual and noticed any errors or steps that could be improved on. I'll be borrowing a garage to do the swap in so I'm hoping to make it as quick and problem free as possible. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Roy - 98 SL1 (~150,000km)

Reply to
Roy

are you going Auto to Manual or just dropping in a new tranny?

I would recommend that you change the clutch while you have the tranny out unless you have recently already changed it.

as far as I remember, I had no problems changing out mine based on the Haynes procedure

JUST BE CAREFUL WITH THAT CLUTCH MASTER AND SLAVE UNIT! it's a $215+ part from Saturn!

Some people on my site can probaly help you out too... feel free to check out the link below

Brian a.k.a. ProjectSW1

Reply to
SixthSphere

Give this document a read. With a few minor additions to it, you will be able to remove the trans through the wheelwell. I think Haynes manuals say to pull the engine first and that's not necessary. I've swapped at least 4 transmissions via the method in this document (in fact, one of the pictures is from my race car :) ), and it works well. Even got it down to about an hour, depending on whether or not I have to fight with trans shaft/clutch disc alignment when putting it all back together.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Straight swap no modding.

I already decided I would do that, hate to have to pull it all apart again in six months to change the clutch.

Thanks.

Reply to
Roy