Trouble Code P0341

Hi all,

The "check engine" light came on this past rainy weekend, so I ran to AutoZone and got the codes read for free. Code P0341 came up, which means there's a fault in the camshaft position sensor. The problem is that this car is a '99 SL1 with the SOHC motor and there's no such sensor (or so I was told).

This code has come up before, so I changed the plugs and wires, and it went away. But it's back again and I'm not sure what to do next. I noticed that after I had changed the wires and plugs, the ignition could be heard through the radio. So I tightened things down and the buzzing went away. But that too is back. The car runs fine, but the "check engine" light is on and there's interference on the radio.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how did you deal with it?

Thanks,

Reply to
_

We have a 97 SL2 and this code has come up twice since we had the car. (4 years) The Saturn mechanic says it means nothing. Just reset light and it should go away for quite a while. They could fix it by changing a part whose name escapes me but they don't because it's a waste of customer's money. (How's that for honest?!) Found this out when car wouldn't start due to cracked temp sensor, which incidently didn't bring up a code.

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

Reply to
Pete Geurds

You're right, there is no cam position sensor. However, what these engines use to determine cam position is called compression-sense ignition - by comparing the firing voltages on the #1 and #4 plugs, it can tell which of them is on compression and which is on exhaust, and therefore know which cylinder is actually on the firing stroke. This code indicates that the cam signal that the PCM received was incorrect or had too many pulses per revolution. Engine misfire or voltage leakage can confuse the system. If you have radio interference, then you've got high voltage leaking to ground somewhere - if it's not a bad plug or plug wire, then quite likely you have a bad ignition coil..

Reply to
Robert Hancock

You might want to read the information at the above link. This may be as simple as a wire routing problem.

Ken

system. If you

which means

noticed that