94 SC2 Fuel Pump Replacement

Hey,

Anyone replaced the fuel pump themself? I'm particularly interested in whether or not the pump can be removed from the plastic housingwhich holds it. The actual fuel pumps are sold separately, but Haynes says the pump and housing assembly must be replaced as a unit, and the Saturn shop manual basically says the same thing.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
David

I wish I could give you a definte answer. I did some checking for a pump for my '92 because I expect to change it one day. My Saturn dealer claims it is a module, which includes everything attached. But my local NAPA dealer claims that they sell the pump seperate and can be installed fairly simple. Saturn wants nearly $500 for parts, NAPA's way is only $139. I will wait to buy the part once I get mine out and into my hands.

James

Reply to
James1549

I replaced the pump alone without any problems. Take great care removing the filter or it will tear and not able to re-use. It would be wise to purchase a new filter....after doing all this work why take a chance.

Reply to
My Name

Thanks for the replies. I bought a fuel pump alone from Autozone for $143.00

(It's sold under some generic name, but the pump is made by Bosch). I'm going to try doing it myself--just wanted to make sure that the pump wasn't sealed inside that plasic casing. It would probably be less trouble to just buy an entire unit from the dealer, but there's no way I could justify

spend> I replaced the pump alone without any problems. Take great care removing

Reply to
David