turn signal & wiper switch on '99 SL2...

My '01 SC2 has the exact same problem and I've been just living with it.

Anyway, if your '99 is anything like my '01, there's an escucheon (the round plastic thingy, has the "lock" "start" etc labels printed on it) around the lock cylinder that should just pop off -- you might need to pry it a bit, but l it isn't too difficult to remove. Then remove the 5 screws from the bottom of the shroud (you'll need a VERY thin-walled socket for two of them) and you should be good to go.

Let me know how you do with it as I've been wondering if it's worth trying to fix mine.

Reply to
Wordsworth

The entire assembly -- turn signal stalk, wiper stalk, emergency flasher button, ignition switch, shroud, and the metal bracket all that stuff mounts to -- is loose. It rotates about 1/4" counterclockwise when I press the stalk down to signal a left turn, and returns to the normal position when I release it. This is a 99 SL2 with a tilt steering wheel. Any ideas?

In a related issue, I tried to remove the shroud in an effort to see why this assembly is loose, but I can't get the lower half of the shroud off because I can't get the lock cylinder out of the ignition switch. According to the manuals I have, there's supposedly a square release button on the top of the ignition switch... nope. Not that I can find.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reply to
Doug Miller

How long has it had the problem, and how long have you had the car?

Thanks -- I'll give that a try. I thought that might be what I needed to, but I was reluctant to pry at it too hard, for fear of breaking it.

Yep, I found that out already!

Will do. Thanks for the tips. If anyone else knows more about this than either of us do, please chime in!

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've had the car since it was new... delivered in September 2000. The problem has been there for probably a year or so, but it hasn't become worse, so I've left it alone... it is a bit annoying, though.

You shoudln't really have to "pry" the escucheon off, you should be able to pull it right out.

Reply to
Wordsworth