Which wheel bearing?

This problem is on a 96 Ranger XLT, 2 wheel drive, short bed

I am fairly certain that I have a wheel bearing going. The sound that it makes is speed related to tire and wheel rotation. Hard to describe but kind of a "critch, critch,critch". I have tried preloading each side by turning to each direction ... the sound does increase, BUT it seems to be equally increased no matter which way I turn.

( I did this in a large empty parking lot at different speeds)

I can't determine if it is left, right or even front or back!

I hope some one in this group can give a sure fire way to tell

Oh, I have jacked up each wheel and spun by hand to no avail.

I also REALLY checked each tire for blisters or belt slip and nothing, tires only have about 5K miles

appreciate any and all help!

Reply to
Eagle Creek

"Eagle Creek" wrote in news:b9mdnaCR8LcVDNTcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@netnitco.net:

sounds to me like you better check your U joints first. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

As I stated it is related to tire and wheel rotation, not driveshaft which would be a lot faster .... it makes this sound with each one rotation of a tire/wheel ... and yes I did check the u-joints, my experience with u-joints going bad is a sound that has more of a fast squeak or chirp.....

and hey Thundersnake ...460s are great engines! had one in a pickup .... started at 28 below zero, out side , no heat, bearly rolled over and then fired up!

describe

nothing,

Reply to
Eagle Creek

How about brake noise? Rust on the edge of a rotor just rubbing the caliper?

Rotors/Drums can flash rust overnight, especially in wet or humid conditions, and cause all kinds of bad noises.

Just a thought.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I don't know. You're going about it the right way, but then it might not be a wheel bearing at all. I'd be more convinced if it was roaring. The sound you describe could be a tire, or brake noise, or even a hubcap (if you've got any).

"As far as the front/rear thing goes, if you can hear it, then you just have to go by direction. Have somebody stand by the road and drive by and that might also help.

Reply to
Joe

Maybe the annoying Weld Wheel "click click" sound.. Oh wait, that's on my truck. nevermind.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Honestly, the guy should take off all his hubcaps and trim rings if so equipped, while troubleshooting crunchy wheel noises!

Reply to
Joe

I also thought I had a wheel bearing going out on my 92 Taurus, but couldn't feel it. But on a hunch I replaced the left front wheel (Hub) bearing. Still had the noise. it was the speed-o cable Once again, Jack it up. Spin each wheel carefully and listen/feel the bearing. you usually can tell. Now the front wheels are easy to inspect, the outer bearings can be done with out removing the brakes. Most all bearing failure I have seen has been the outer bearing. The rear's have a real low failure rate, I'm thinking your bearings are probably OK

Reply to
Steve

Jack it up and ignore your ears. Spin the wheel and use your fingers and feel the backing plate. Lots of Fords have Chinese front wheel bearings. I'd start with the fronts. You may have to spread the brake pads to get the wheel to spin freely. If they feel good, remove the outer bearings and look them over.

Rear wheel bearings are harder. I jack up the rear, remove both tires and brake drums. Be sure you support it by the axle with good jack stands on a solid surface. Start the engine and let it idle in drive or 4th gear. Then touch the axle housing near the bearing. Be sure not to get caught in the wheel lugs. You can also listen to the bearing with a dowel stick.

Al

Reply to
Big Al