Wheel Bearing Questions...

So I figure I have a bad wheel bearing; unfortunately I can't figure exactly what I'm going to have to do to fix it. The manual I have pretty much says don't mess with it and take the steering knuckle/hub assembly into a shop and have the bearing pressed. I called the nearby dealer and he said to just order the hub assembly and to put that on instead of pressing the bearing. Call the auto parts store for the hub assembly, and apparently you have to press the bearing that comes with the new hub assembly. What is the advantage of purchasing a new hub assembly as opposed to just the bearing? Is this really that hard that I should take it into a shop? I mean I know I need a press, and yes, I have access to one. what about an alignment? Why would I need one of those? I mean I guess I understand why, but If I'm not cranking on the tie rod or anything is it really going to throw it off that much? So many questions; and so little time before this thing decides its going to completely go out...thanks!!

Reply to
oh123

Mind reminding us what vehicle this is as I'm to tired to use telepathy at this moment...

Reply to
BläBlä

Yeah, it's a 99 SL1 with about 113,000 miles...sorry

Reply to
olenhenke

To be sure, this conclusion came how?

That helps. It would be easier if the hub/bearing was one unit but the bearing is pressed inside the steering knuckle making it part of the unit as well. This job takes more than hand tools unfortunately.

Reply to
BläBlä

Yeah, just take the knuckle to Saturn. take your car back to Saturn for alignment. I had it all done for

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

quoted text -

Thanks for all your help and willingness to do so...

A friend and I fixed the thing; quite a job. He's a mechanic, and had never seen a bearing like that.

I can go into detail if you'd like...it took a lot longer than we both expected.

To answer another question: How did I come to the conclusion it was a wheel bearing? Well, it was making a thumping noise for quite some time, around a year or so. Of course it got progressively worse, and I began to have premonissions that at some point, probably around 3 am, my tire would fall off and I would go crashing into the woods and become a missing person.

It was classic wheel bearing symptoms, a thump-thump-thump type of noise, which earlier in it's time would only do it if the weight would shift onto the tire around a corner, or not do it if it would shift onto the other wheel. And apparently I was the only one to see this as odd, as a number of local shops that I took it to said it was fine, even after I explained what it was doing. Probably wanted nothing to do with changing that bearing. I know the guy who helped me said he'd never do another one.

Reply to
sowhatofit

A year? Jesus. I can feel a slight misbalance in my tires and I usually freak out. I can also feel when my tires are low as to how they sound...

I'm a freak for sure :)

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

well, I noticed it, but what can you do? Fix it I suppose, but i guess that is how cars go...turn up the radio, and the problem momentarily disappears.

Reply to
sowhatofit

Google is your friend.

especially (IMHO)