1987 Camry Front hub and bearing

HI

The front drivers side bearing is shot and just ordered a bearing / hub kit. The bearing already comes pressed onto the hub.

So I guess I need to tear it down and remove the knuckle and have the old hub / bearing assy pressed out and the new one pressed in.

Is it ok to press the bearing / hub assy into the knuckle, this would put all the force on the inner race to press the outer race into the knuckle. Why do they ship the bearing pressed on the hub? I would think that you would want to press the bearing into the knuckle first then press the hub into the bearing?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
James Murphy

My idea is that the bearing is only pressed onto one side, it is stuck on the other. If they ship the bearing and hub already pressed together, then the existing bearing is stuck on the spindle, not pressed onto the spindle.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The bearing is what is termed an 'interference fit' over the drive stub,.....the old should pull off and the new push on fairly easily.

there are 3 types of fit:

-press fit,..(need a press )

- interference fit (may slide off or need only light tapping to remove)

-clearance fit ( pull off by hand)

Jason

Reply to
Jason James