wipers with a mind of their own

Has anybody witnessed a similar situation:

Wipers turned on to maximum speed during heavy rain. After rain becomes less heavy, switched to lower speed, which works. After rain stops, tried to turn wipers off. Moved the lever to all five positions (single pulse, off, intermittent, low speed, high speed) but wipers keep going at the low speed setting. Get to destination and turn engine off. Wipers, of course, do stop at this point. Two hours later, start up car, wipers pulse once and then stop. Ever since, the switch is working properly again, although only the single pulse, off, intermittent, and low speed settings have been used; haven't yet had occasion to try high speed.

What kind of a switch would behave this way?

Reply to
tholen

I don't know what kind switch can do this. But I have been having similar problems. The diagnosis from the Saturn service technician was that the multifunction lever needs to be replaced.

BTW: this will be the second time it gets replaced. The last time was in 2001.

Marc

97 SW1
Reply to
Marc

The last time it rained heavily enough to warrant using the highest wiper speed, I was unable to reproduce the earlier problem. For now the nature of the earlier problem remains a mystery.

Reply to
tholen

I went in for the actual repair today and the Saturn cognoscenti changed their minds: they do not need to replace the multi-function lever, instead they replaced the faulty wiper motor module.

Module: $395 (Canadian $) labor: $176

Marc

Reply to
Marc