Took myu 300M in for 30K sergfvcie and now the wiper shield wiper fluid doesn't pump!

I made sure that it's full but it doesn't work where do I start trouble shooting this beast?

Marc

Reply to
Marc

"Marc" snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Bring it back and tell them they broke it.

Reply to
StevJensen

Marc, According to my '99 FSM schematics, the same fuse runs the wiper motor that runs the pump motor, so, assuming your wipers are working OK, that fuse is good.

The +12V source to run that motor is connected to both a contact on the multi-functuin switch (manual operation), and to a driver output of the BCM (for automatically timed operation). So, if the pump doesn't pump under any circumstances, the wires feeding power or ground to the motor are bad, the pump itself is bad or there's a plumbing problem. Can you hear the motor running at any time?

Disconnect the two-wire connector to the pump motor and jumper +12V (brown wire) and ground (black wire) to the motor and see if she pumps then. I believe the motor/pump is built into the washer bottle.

Bill Putney

Interesting, maybe that helps explain why my wipers often wouldn't wipe when the temperature was cold and the switch was on DELAY mode. BCM couldn't or wouldn't send signal (wiper park switch?) but the ON position sends juice directly to the motor. I'm surprised that any switches send juice directly to anything without using the computer actually.

Dealer said they couldn't fix or find a problem when the car was under

36mo/36mi warranty. They did recently fix it under my service contract for a $50 deduct (and some other work too) by replacing the entire wiper motor assembly. I'm starting to really believe that paying $750 for 7 years wasn't a horrible idea, especially if the windows start acting up. Prices today for similar coverage are much higher though.
Reply to
Greg Johnson

Actually that sentence of mine was referring to the washer motor - not the wiper motor (upon re-reading, I see that I could have made that more clear - but the context from the OP's post was the washer motor). But keep reading...

The wiper motor is driven thru two relays (fast and slow). The relay control signals come from the BCM. All wiper motor commands (on slow, on fast, intermittent) go to the BCM from the multi-function switch MUX.

It is a very common problem (possibly 100% across the board?) with the

2nd gen LH vehicles that the wipers go haywire in cold weather (I'm thinking 25°F and below). It is an obvious design flaw, and why they haven't been recalled because of it I'll never understand since the wipers are given the same priority as brakes as far as failure of a safety system in the automotive design FMEAS (Failure Modes and Effects Analyses) that I participated in.

I'll wager as winter arrives and temperatures drop, you'll start seeing posts on this ng about wipers not working correctly in cold weather.

My guess, from the way my Concorde's wipers behave in cold weather, is that the wiper park sense switch (probably a hall effect) output is temperature dependent, and at some temperature, either it shifts enough, or the BCM sense threshold shifts enough, or both, that the park sensing is gets messed up. By them replacing your wiper motor assembly, the park sense switch got replaced by one with a design (or calibration) tweak.

Bill Putney

We have a 97 Intrepid that has this problem off and on. Some days the wipers work correctly on all settings. Other days nothing happens until the switch is set to high speed. While malfunctioning the wipers may stop mid stroke when switch is turned to off, also they may run continuously on intermittent. Then suddenly it's all back to normal. What to check?

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

Reply to
Pete Geurds

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Pete Geurds) wrote

There is a ground strap on one of the bolts of the motor. Remove bolt and polish all the corrosion off strap and contact points.

Reply to
StevJensen