1922 four-door roadster

In an ad in the April Hemmings (Pg 633) is an ad for a '22 "4-dr roadster". Was there such an animal? Probably a touring car. The car also has a "tilt steering wheel" and "sidemounted trunk." Do you think the wheel is the after-market "fat-man wheel" or was there such a thing as a "tilt" available from Studenaker?

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Yes, there is a 4 door roadster model (and shown in the 1922 prestige brochure), also referred to as a Chummy roadster(in the parts book). The body is quite a bit different than a touring model. Some of the many differences include a small trunk in the rear, and "bucket seats". The car being sold was just on ebay, item number was 4631004441. I happen to have one of these unusual models as well. I am not sure if the "tilt" wheel was available from Studebaker or the sftermarket, but I do know that the wooden rim on the wheel shown is the same shape as the standard wheel used in 1922.

Joel

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> In an ad in the April Hemmings (Pg 633) is an ad for a '22 "4-dr

Reply to
Joel

So do you have a photo that you can post...either the model or the car. The trunk is what interests me since so many of the trunks of this era are from my great grandfathers patents.

Reply to
Studebaker Kid

There you go.

Bob40

Reply to
Bob

It sticks in my mind that some time in those days they did offer a steering wheel that could swing out of the way for entry/egress. Paul Johnson

Reply to
Paul Johnson

If you copy the ebay listing number (4631004441) and paste it into the ebay search heading the old listing will come up. There are numerous photos of the car showing the trunk, and the steering wheel. In this case the wheel itself tilts up to allow easier entry, but the steering column stays in one position. Neet car, with bids that ended in the 13k range, but it did not meet reserve.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Siekman