1951 "Muppet Movie" Commander

I recently purchased the August issue of Hemmings Classic Car, which is dedicated to Studebaker. There is a little blurb about the Studebaker Museum in South Bend getting some new vehicles. One of the vehicles is the 51 Commander used in the Muppet Movie. Has anyone seen it yet at the museum. Is it on display yet, or does it need work yet? The article mentioned that it was specially altered to allow it to be driven from the trunk using a video camera positioned at the front bullet.

Also it mentioned that the one the Museum has is one of 2 that were used when filming the Muppet Movie. Anyone know where the 2nd one is?

Gus Pratt

Reply to
Gus Pratt

As of May 2006, the Muppet Commander was on display at the new museum. It was looking a bit tired, so a jar was placed next to it, in order to collect money for restoration. KK

Reply to
keith_kichefski

About four years ago I saw one of the two 10 miles away from where I live in CA.. it was with a guy who also had a few other Studebakers. I was there looking at a 64 sedan for sale. The car was in need of some work and sounds like it was modified the same way as the one at the museum. It could be the same one as I have not followed where it went.

Wiz.

Reply to
Wizard of Oz

Pictures of the muppet car I took in May:

BobWaitz

The last photo reminds me of being like a ball turret gunner on a B-17, except the downward view ain't that spectacular.

BG

Reply to
Bill Glass

Isn't it SUPPOSED to be?

It's a cartoon car, for cryin' out loud, which happens to have as much, if not more, significance as such than as a piece of Studebaker history.

As such, it deserves to be left alone, for what it is. It should never be, "restored," and should never really be compared to what "original" was, as it relates to when the car was built, as compared to when the Muffet movie (a cartoon) was produced.

Just like it is, it serves as a compliment, a national symbol, an honor to Studebaker for carrying out such an outrageous design that it should appear many years later in a cartoon setting.

Leave this car alone, and leave it in the Studebaker museum! It is much more than a car, because it is what it is!

Good grief, don't ya get it?

Reply to
Dave's Place

Betcha it has a belly button motor in it

"Dave's Place" wrote...

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Ya think?