1954 Commander Ran Hot

The 1954 Commander ran hot on I95 on the way to the FL State Meet. About 30 minutes into the trip we stopped at a rest stop and it boiled over when parked. Only drove 60 mph (no fun on I95) the rest of the way to Jacksonville becuase from 65 to 70 mph it ran hotter. Took the thermostat out at the show and drove it back without it. This made no difference so we drove home mostly on US1. Tested the thermostat in boiling water and it opened just fine. The only thing I no for sure that is wrong is that the bearings are going on the water pump (it is not leaking) but I don't think growling bearings would cause it to over heat.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

mbstude

Michael, how old is the radiator in the Commander? If the car had 'set up' for a good length of time, the problem could possibly be a stopped up radiator. That's happened to me on more than one occasion.

Reply to
Jerry Forrester

The car was restored in the early 90's and has done a lot of sitting Jerry. I plan on taking it out and dropping it off at the radiator shop. I am also going to pull the freeze plugs and see if the block is stopped up in the back.

Jerry Forrester (no spam) wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Sounds like a plugged radiator or some other type of restriction.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire