4-speed pinion adapter

OK... at York I was looking for the stuff to get the right gear for my speedo drive so that my speedo would read accurately with a 3.73:1 rear end... one major vendor took my info and promised to look when he got home. Sho 'nuff, today I come home and there's a box on the porch with an early style pinion adapter assembly in it. So I eagerly open the box and admire the lovely NOS-ness of it all. Unfortunately, it won't turn. I soaked it in PB blaster and it has soaked down to the gear and it still won't turn. I suspect that it was dropped and/or the gear was pressed on too far and the fiber gear is jamming it, but I don't want to start messing with it unless someone can verify that. Does anyone have any good pinion adapter that they could measure for me, and if so, could you tell me how far the steel shaft sticks out past the fiber gear? What I don't want to do is to start whacking on it with a hammer and then find out I'm wrong and it's rusted (although it doesn't look it) and then the vendor won't want to take it back 'cause I beat it up.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Don't I have one ?

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Nope, you've got the 3.73 gear for the late style cable, and neither one of us has a functional late style cable.

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I swore I had a pinion adapter, but not the gear.

Nate Nagel wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Reply to
dwcars

Update:

that's what it was, I looked at it again today and it just looked too good to be rusted. Set it on the hard concrete floor and gave it a rap with a hammer, works fine now. Was all worried about nothing!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel