alternative brake light switch conversion

Anyone convert their brakelight switch to the kind that is mounted to the the upper part of the brake pedal harness? If so, what part numbers did you use to successfully do this? Thanks

Reply to
gregscoggin

Not sure I really understand your question. I got tired of replacing hydraulic switches and having to bleed the system as a result. I replaced my switch with a mechanical switch (Standard # SLS-40) mounted under the floorboard and activated by the brake pedal arm. My car is a 1950 so your setup may be different. If this is at all relevent to your question or is of interest and if it would be helpful I can send a picture .

Reply to
Hank

I don't have a link in this computer, but Bob Johnstone used a switch that mounts to the underside of the floor, and when pressure is applied to the pedal the make/break switch turns on the lights.

Reply to
Bill Glass

Yep, you two guys are right on. I am doing away with the hydraulic switch on the mastercylinder and would like to put one on the pedal under the steering column....if anyone has done this successfully I'd love to have part nubers and pics Thanks!

Reply to
gregscoggin

Did some research and found a lot on it....Actually found it myself here.

For a lark you use a 71 Olds cutless switch available at Autozone
There is a small ear that has a rubber bump stop for the brake pedal to rest against when you take your foot off the pedal . Remove that rubber stopper and replace it with the brakelight switch from the 71 Olds Cutlass and adjust accordingly to actuate the brake lights. voila. Undercarriage brakelight setup if MC is along frame is a different switch and setup found here:

gregscoggin