Nissan's overly sensitive brakes

Do any of you other Nissan owners have annoyingly grabby brakes? This complaint has been lodged against the G35 a million times, and I've heard
one mention of it on the 2000+ Sentra. My Sentra (95 200SX SE-R) can really tire out a leg after repeated exposure to stop-and-go traffic. One explanation is that the pedal itself is mounted too high -- I measured the pedal's surface being over 5 inches above the ground it's perpendicular to.
Can anything be done to make brakes less touchy, or is this one of those fixed engineering designs we're stuck with for the life of the car? Can we buy an aftermarket pedal that's angled differently, or better yet, simply adjust this one downward?
Here's the Sentra article that mentioned it: http://www.roadandtravel.com/roadtests/ltrelationship/nissan_sentra3.htm
Can you get Ferodo pads? I've often used them on a variety of Nissans as they never fade, are superb at high speed, and are not grabby at low speed. They can be a bit too dead when cold at low speed though.

On 8/15/04 1:44 AM, in article pKCTc.20627$Yl.13295@okepread07, "Crunchy

No issues with the "touchy brakes" on my G. I actually like them - stopping power that's better than many Ferarris (and other sportscars), and they seem to be holding up well (I have an '04).
If anything, it's a PITA to get into another car and really have to nail the brakes to get stopped...
Crunchy Cookie wrote:

Low metal content pads can be grabby, as someone else suggested ferodo or axis/repco metal master type pads can get rid of this and help performance of the brakes at high temp/speed conditions.
--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com

I think the bigger problem is the high-mounted pedal. Any chance I can bother anyone to tell me if their brake pedal's surface is less than 5 inches off the angled part of the floor?
Crunchy Cookie wrote:

My mitsu truck is and it doesn't do this. 2 people have explained what a good fix is, please ignore it and remount the pedal assembly, that's much easier!
--

Steve

http://www.atlantaracing.com
Are we on about this "Nissan Brake Assist (NBA)" thing here? Thats what the manual says my X-Trail's got. It describes it along the lines of .... (quoting from memory so please don't b*llock me if its not 100% accurate) "Nissan has found that most drivers don't brake hard enough so Nissan Brake Assist applies extra brake pressure". I think it goes on to say that this coupled with ABS will result in shorter braking distances.
Personally, I like it. Means a big lump of a thing like an Xtrail will, as the saying goes, stop on a dime.
Nige
--
"Crunchy Cookie" < snipped-for-privacy@Yahoo.com> wrote in message

as
Nah, not that, that's for emergencies. I'm just talking about what seems to be a problem exclusive to Infiniti G35s and 95-through-now Sentras: any application of the brake pedal calls for too much braking force.

Stopping on a dime isn't want you always want. For example, descending a 23% grade on a wet (muddy) dirt road, with (say) a 300 m drop off the side of the road. So its very easy to lock up an X-trail with four wheel slide descending to Kowmunga River when it's wet, and be saved only by a drainage ditch providing grip after 15 metres of four wheel sliding. Real example, last weekend. Anti-lock braking didn't help much when all four wheels went stationary.
Nissan should give some thought to potential legal liability. Maybe Brake Assist should be disengaged when in 4WD lock mode. Braking "Not hard enough" means something different on different surfaces.
Regards
Bea Rave
We export high quality used cars, trucks, parts and machines from Germany. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Mitusbishi, Honda, Volvo, Toyota, VW, Opel etc...Please call or tell us if you have any questions. If you dont find the car you need, just contact us so we can find it for you.
Please visit our Homepage.
http://www.carsexport.biz/dieselcars.htm