Beyond Expectations

I know that every so often someone will give a shout out to a Studebaker vendor or enthusiast who went beyond expectations to help them. And I find that I must also do the same.

I bought a '63 GT Hawk from JP and Studebob some 3 years ago. No one local had the time, so David Groth agreed to take on the project of painting and reassembling the car to a finished status, in addition to making sure it was mechanically sound.

Early on, parts were ordered and shipped to DG. Since it is an Avanti powered automatic Hawk, numbers matching, I asked that it be painted Ermine White, the original color. Car also came with factory A/C. This I thought a car worth redoing, not to be a frame off or museum resto, but to look like

1963 in appearance. Money sent, questions asked, more parts sent, and I waited.

Oops, a problem arose. David painted the car and he decided that it was not the proper color. He had the paint remixed and reshot the car. Soon after, a noted Studebaker person viewed the car and explained to DG that his original spray of the car was correct, and the remix was a boo boo. I get notified and after some thinking decided against another paint. After all, white is white. I waited some more.

More time passes, DG is hard to get ahold of. Admits to some personal trials taking away from the car. Been there done that, so I understand. Nov '05 I get a request for more money to "finish the car". Send money and request a pickup date for transport. Finally in May, car is ready, but transport details not worked out until two weeks ago. Car arrived. WOW!

I have to thank DG for his help in making the economy of Fargo, ND better as he must have spent the money on something else other than his labor on my car. I also want to thank DG for his making the economy of Mooresville, NC better as I had to go out and buy a battery in order to unload the car from the transporter. I need to also add thanks to DG for now making it possible for someone else to share in the renovation of my car. All in all, his efforts on this car have served to improve the financial situation all over this country and I think he should be commended. So David, my hat's off to you. Great Job, I appreciate you! For those who can't understand such effusive praise, I have created a photo album for you to view the car as I received it. Maybe then you will also be able to say "WOW!".

bs

Reply to
Brian Scott

Brian, I find your post hard to understand. What are you trying to communicate?

Brian Scott wrote:

Michael - Roseland FL

Uh-oh.

Reply to
Dave Lester

LOC??? lack of communication??? gazooks...... =-O :-(

Reply to
Stuuder

I'm thinking he did not get kissed after being screwed.

Michael - Roseland FL wrote:

oldcarfart

John Poulos

Brian Scott

It IS GOOD to share experience(s) that we have had! It really helps others, thnaks Louis

Reply to
GABOY

I saw all the pictures...Wow...You have been more than fair in your words of Praise...White is white just like you said Brian...You and Dave both have gained much experience in how to treat or not treat a Stude person...ouch!!

Lansing

Please remove the X to e-mail me...I get spam here daily

Reply to
ConcreteGuy

Reply to
jimmijim8

Brian-

I remember selling you the headlight rings for this car and shipping them to David for use on your car.I note that they have not been installed.

I am sorry you experience in this restoration turned out as it has. If you come up short on stainless trim pieces get hold of me, I have a pretty conplete set.

Dave Mc Lean

Reply to
The Other Dave

I would give the guy the chance to refund your money and if he didn't I would sue his ass

The Other Dave wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Wow, your heart must have sunk when the truck arrived with the car on it. If there is anything positive to say about this, be thankful you got your car back. There was a club member up here who traded a couple Hawks to a local body man for work on his 47 coupe. The Hawks got sold right away and after more than a few months and many promises ( family problems, etc.) the guy skipped town, leaving the 47 in the garage he rented. The landlord sold the car for back rent. Fortunately the owner was able to eventually get his car back after lots of hassles, time and money. So things could be worse.

Reply to
Dan Peterson

One picture is worth a thousand words, they say. Eight is a short story.

Jim Bartley > Brian, I find your post hard to understand. What are you trying to > communicate? >

Jim

Isn't that thread from like a year ago?

Lee

Lee Aanderud

Not quite, but after waiting 3 months to reply, he must be a slow reader.

Lee Aanderud wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos