Chevy Dealer Parts Connection Wanted (ot).... (rant)

Anyone have a 'friend' in a Chevy dealer's parts department? I need two heater control related parts and want to (A) Get a great
deal on them, or (B) Not get freakin' ripped off (grrrrrr).. I went to the parts department last Friday afternoon to buy these to things and the price he quoted was just under what a pacemaker cost's.. After I asked him to look and see if there was a campaign on it, he said that my s/n was not in the campaign and he re-quoted me an even higher price. I asked if I could get a quote on fixing it from the service department. He showed me where to pull in. I was told I had to make an 'appointment' to have my car looked at and diagnosed (even though you could see the melted heater control gizmo and melted plug attached to it). I couldn't wait the hour they said it would take so I made an appontment for Monday morning. So.... This morning I go in for my 'appointment' to get an estimate and the service writer 'lady' prints out this sheet and askes me to sign it saying I agree to pay them between $52 and $65 for the privilege of letting them bend down and look under the dash. And then ask me to bend down...again... I said "Well that makes great sense. That's an hours labor right there and it will only take the guy an hour to fix it"... "Oh no sir!" she replies (in a deadpan and hostile reply)... "Our labor rate is $90 per hour".. They have you pull into the drive through service bay where they have these laptops to prep the paper enema's they give customers. After she said that to me I told her to have the cars that pulled in behind me back out as I was leaving. She walked over that way glaring at me as I asked one guy not to shut off the car as I was backing out. He skeedaddled right away. My attitude must have shown. I backed out and left, vowing to never set foot in there again... No wonder General Motors is in trouble...
Jeff,
In all seriousness I think you should write a letter to the zone manager and whoever he reports to, and copy whoever owns the dealership.
Customers should not have to tolerate that kind of attitude and "service", and most will not, they may not complain, but they will also take their business elsewhere. The only way the problem is going to get fixed is if people raise a stink.
You might also try another dealer.
Jeff DeWitt
Jeff wrote:

Cost me $140.00 to have some nit wit tell me that I had an oil leak and a coolant leak and that it would take nearly $6,000.00 to fix the 2 problems. $12.00 seal, $58.00 tool, $9.00 seal and 2 hrs. labor and I fixed the problems. Of course, the service manager told me that since I had extremely high mileage on my 7.3 power stroke (265,000), I should take it right over to the new truck lot and trade it in on a NEW 2007 ($52k out the door). I told him sure, when the price was down around $20k, and Ford replaced the crummy Ford engines with a good 7.3, or catapiller engine!
I complained to the owner. Didn't even get a call back, much less a refund on the $140.00 anal fee. This from a dealership I have been dealing with for 20 years!
This seems to be the best of modern service most dealerships have to offer, and it ain't just Chebby! I don't think most of this modern generation see this as a problem. It's just simply the way it is, because they don't know any better.
Of course, this all goes to buying a 57 Chevy for $125k, or a 63 Studebaker for $52k, or a model of the USS Enterprise (Star Trek) for $500,000.00. More money then common sense.
Bo (Just my opin)
But that wasn't A model of the Enterprise, that was THE model of the Enterprise! Made the $240,000 Bird of Prey seem like a bargain!
Jeff DeWitt
64daytonaht wrote:

Another reason to despise GM...
JT
Jeff wrote:

Having worked in dealerships for close the 30 years now I hear the complaint about diagnostic fees all the time. It's are a legitimate charge. Why should a tech provide a 1/2 hour of his time for free? When you have to do your best to get the diagnosis right the first time and avoid a comeback a haphazard look under the dash is not a very professional way to attack the problem.
You can order a Chevy part through any GM dealer. My advice, if you are sure of the problem, to ask the parts store you use the most for a recommendation and maybe a name to ask for. If you're not sure what caused your part to melt I would suggest you let the dealer fix.
BTW, diagnostic charges are pretty much a universal policy in any dealership, GM or otherwise.
ErnieR

Overheated it once last summer.... (That's about all you get out of doing that...) Jeff
"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote...

Which goes on to beg the question, "Was the temp gauge being monitored?"
Oh wait... Modern cars mostly have that stupid "Check Engine" light which covers most things from itchy rear ends to hunger pangs..
<G>
JT
Jeff Rice wrote:

Don't get me started... F**d trucks have a gauge cluster that appears to be fairly good, but the oil pressure gauge is really an idiot light with a needle.
There's a rant building up in there, but I don't want to post it yet. If at all.
nate
(actually has a backdated sending unit still in the box as I was going to "fix" that.)
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Actually I'm totally confused by the @#$% thing. Driving home the other night I could have sworn the engine had weeks to live, it was making a classic rod knocking noise - that quiet little "taptaptaptap" that you only hear at light throttle. I checked the oil and it looked very low. So I threw two quarts in it and dropped it off to the guy at the end of the street and said "tell me how bad it is." He told me on the phone today he couldn't hear a thing and threw some oil treatment gunk in there just for insurance... well I figured he just had a tin ear, picked it up after work and drove it around for a good 20 minutes, I figured I'd get it to make the noise again and then come back and take him for a ride, well I only got it to make the noise once and then it never did it again. Got home, checked the oil, guess what it shows a quart and a half over full WTF??? So I didn't have an oil pressure gauge handy so I went ahead and pulled the gauge cluster and bypassed the little resistor in line with the oil pressure gauge, and installed the real gauge sender, then drove it some more. Oil pressure gauge behaves just like you'd expect it to, and even with the engine good and hot (you could tell when it really got warmed up because the oil pressure would drop off at idle) I never got it to make the noise again, although I tried all different modes of acceleration. I would like to hook up a *CALIBRATED* gauge just so I could tell what "between 'N' and 'O'" is in psi, but it seemed OK.
At this point I don't know WTF this truck is trying to tell me. I guess maybe I'll change the oil and throw in some Auto-RX that I have laying around in case it is a sludge/drainback issue, and keep driving it. I can't think of what else to do, although I'm going to have a hard time trusting it on long trips.
The guy that sold it to me paid people to fix the thing; he's not mechanically sensitive enough to even notice the kind of stuff I've already fixed on the truck (completely blown shocks, for one...)
nate
Lee Aanderud wrote:

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate, I don't remember which engine is in your truck but it does sound like sludged up drain back holes may be your problem. The changing oil levels are one clue. By pouring in more oil it you may have raised the oil level high enough in the head to where the oil is draining back through pushrod holes or other places that the oil normally doesn't drain back through. The other big clue will be if you get a real big puff of smoke on start up. If oil is indeed staying in the top and the valves are "swimming" in it the thing will smoke. I have pulled valve covers on many a neglected engine only to have a quart or more of oil come dumping out. Unfortuanately, if you pull the covers and start knocking the crap loose some of it invariably ends up in the oil pump pickup and that ain't good... Studebaker George
Studebaker George wrote:

It's a 300 I-6, and pulling the valve cover involves removing the intake plenum.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

Oh, and I don't see any smoke, but I do see signs of oil leakage from the VC gasket. No worse than the Porsche, though, which generally doesn't need topping up more than every 2K miles or so.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Nate, That 300 cid six is a very tough engine. I would just go ahead and flog and not worry about it. Paul Johnson
Yeah, that is one tough engine and one of the best F**d ever did...BUT it is susceptible to oil pump screen clogging. Keep an eye on the oil pressure. Studebaker George

Jeff, I noticed on my trip to South Bend that the fan control in my '96 Suburban is getting flaky. It turns readily clockwise, to increase fan speed, but seems to "catch" going counter-clockwise. I think it's on the way out. Same problem as you are having?
Brian Curtis, who now writes the Custom/Modified corner in TW, works in the service department of the Chevy dealer in Bellingham, WA.
If my Suburban's switch bites the big one, I'll be checking auto wreckers. Sometimes being on the blunt end of technology is a GOOD thing.
Gord Richmond
Switch is fine, it's the speed controller unit bolted up under the blower air box. It was such a great design they changed it's design a year later. I don't think the controller was the cause, but more the plug and connector(s). They appear to have gotten so hot they melted the connector body. Oh well.... Jeff
On Jul 3, 4:50 am, Gordon Richmond wrote:

<snip>
You must be thankful that you were not out of town with a non-running vehicle and at their mercy (they have none). Granted, their automotive tech's are mostly great guys, however the dealer service program sucks and IMHO should be illegal. ie: book rate to do the job 2 hrs @ $90 per hr; they more often than not do the job in 1/2 the time but they still charge the book rate thereby scamming the customer. Some dealers even charge a "hazardous waste discharge fee" for disposing of used parts even if they are recycleable metal that they sell. I once had a vehicle failure while out of town, family along, 11pm at night on I-81 with a chrysler corp product (in tank fuel pump failure). let me see: wrecker fee, hotel room, dealer repair cost somewhere between 500-550 US dollars. Yep had to pay a diagnostic fee and book rate repair. They did the whole job in a little over 30 minutes including a test drive. Go Figure. Next time it failed I was local, hauled the van home myself, bought a repl pump at autozone for $125 and did the job myself. Made me wish I had a lift and two extra helpers to hold the tank while I slipped the new one in and be done with it. One thought, could you possible glean your needed parts from a local salvage yard??? Best of Luck on your repair pwb
There is some logic to the Flat Rate System. The pro's that can diagnose and repair correctly get paid for their talent because they can do more work in the same amount of time as those who are not so adept. Imagine if all jobs were based on time and material only. An technician could milk a job that should take an hour into one that takes three, charging the customer too much. A good technician wants to be careful with the diagnostic because he will not get paid to do the job a second time. He doesn't get paid while the car is on the lift waiting for parts and may not, depending on the physical size of the shop, be able to start another job in the interim.
GM gives a customer a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on parts and labor on a job done at a GM dealer. If they do it wrong your protected.
Please don't misunderstand my position on this topic. I don't condone anything unethical in any aspect of the auto business. In fact, if I were not so fussy about the ethics of the people I work for I would probably have a lot more money in the bank. But I have a deep understanding of the business and can see both points of view quite clearly. That being said I would not just take the dealer's side because that's how I make my living. In fact, I had a service writer fired because he lied to me about a necessary repair that he claimed I needed on my wife's car and I wasn't his direct superior either I work in sales not service.
ErnieR