Cruiser AC

Got my car back from a re-check of its AC compressor re-build. When the air temp is in the 70's it will blow in the 40's.

When the engine is hot, and the air temp rises, it's running into the low 50's.

You can see frost on the fins of the evaporator.

The AC guy asked a bout a fan shroud. Did Stude put them on 62 Cruisers? I thought not. My car was unmolested, and did not have one.

He's right that the radiator fan blows the air everywhere. Thought of trying to make a shroud...

Dave Miller Sylvester, GA

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

Dave, shrouds are available from various vendors but they are about

150.00. Yes, that helps but once again, FIND OUT HOW MUCH 134 the guy put in! Too much will make it not cool right... Also, don't expect miracles when the outside temperatures start hitting 100... Studebaker George
Reply to
Studebaker George

I never could quite understand why Studebaker did not employ fan shrouds in the Lark line. Clearly, they were well ahead of the curve on other models in this regard. Many folks marvel at the fan shrouds on my Power hawk an/or '55 Prez sedan that are as modern as anything to be found on today's plastic cars.

Secondly, most folks don't understand that A/C systems operate a reference basis to ambient temperatures, I.E. they reduce a temperature to a given range as compared to the temperature of the intake supply of air. Hence, where possible, always choose "recirculate" as opposed to "fresh" air intakes. You're absolutely right with reference to 100+ degrees.

Just enjoy the dehumidified air coming out of them thar' cold air outlets!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The fan shroud you are questioning was a fleet option. For a 1962 V-8 Lark, it was P/N 1550705P per Cooling section 0506 in my 1959-63 Chassis parts catalog. There are other part numbers listed, which might work. If you are concerned about the duct out temperature, the new R134a does not cool as well as the originally installed freon R12. Looking at a chart obtained from

back in2002, it listed the following: At 50% relative humidity and 70 degreeambient air temperature, the following duct out temps are to beexpected: R12 46 degrees, R134a 51 degrees. The highest the chartgoes is 80% humidity and 90 degree ambient. Duct out was 67 degreeswith R12, and 73 degrees with 134a.

Reply to
keith_kichefski

George,

Tried to call you but your phone said that you couldn't take the call right then...

He had 28 ounces in it. Took it to ZERO, then added 16 ounces, then added eight more ounces, taking it to 24 ounces.

Right about where you said you put them. Puts out 46 degrees (AT the vent) w/75 air temp. About 52 degrees at mid 80's.

I can live with it, if it'll stay there!

Dave

Reply to
So. Ga. Cruiser

Dave, my ten plus year old answering machine just died and I haven't had the time to replace it yet..I will this weekend! The cell is still the best bet to get me. BTW, as far as recirculate, ALL the underdash units are on PERMANENT recirculate unless you do some mighty fancy plumbing... One year ( I think it was '61 but can't remember) had the capacity to do outside air, but... Just for posterity I drove the 63 today with a thermometer in the unit...thirty four in the AM and about forty seven after lunch in 90 plus heat. For those who don't know..this is a SIX cylinder car with two row radiator and clutch fan. Sanden compressor and modern condenser with condenser fan. Only difference from this car and Dave's is that his has the stock Stude evaporator and mine is an aftermarket unit..but small and under the dash. A very plain and simple unit. The Stude stock evaps have PLENTY of capacity.... Couple things to look for... "Holes" in the firewall letting hot engine air in.. Heater water valve not shutting off ( you already addressed this).. Vent flaps in the system not working correctly or left open..(see holes in the dash!) If the unit is sucking in warm air then...once again...ALL the Stude under dash evaps are RECIRCULATE units!! When the ambient air temps get to 100 the units need all the help they can get... Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George