Cylinder Head Gasket Sealer?

I bought the thick cylinder head gaskets for the R1 Wagonaire engine (Victor 1100)

I know you are supposed to use a sealer on the thinner steel cylinder head gaskets but do not know if I should on these thicker ones. They appear to be made of a soft metal.

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Mike,

I always use a sealer on head gaskets, regardless of whether they are the thick composition style or the thin shim style. Back in the old days when I was young (and didn't have much money) we used aluminum spray paint, but these days the 'aluminum' paint does not actually have alumimum particles in it. Nowdays I use KW 'CopperKote' spray that I get at NAPA; Permatex and a few others have essentially the same thing. Some folks use the Copperkote 'brush on' coating, but I have had trouble getting a even coating with the brush on.

Make sure the surfaces of the head, block, and gasket are clean....especially no oil.

Spray several thin coats instead of one heavy coat. Also, be sure to shake the can up very very well prior to spraying, and also several times while you are spraying.

Good luck on your project!

Paul

Reply to
R1Lark

Ditto on the copper coat stuff. I wouldn't do a head job without it.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire