David Bloomberg Sets El Mirage Speed Record in Avanti

(Copy from e-mail)

To all race fans, Last Sunday the Avanti Kid, Dave Bloomberg set a new record at El Mirage Dry Lake under adverse conditions. On Saturday it was 115 degrees and one Sunday, race day when the run was made at 8:50 AM it was 92.50 degrees! The idea was to de-tune engine slightly to protect the engine for next month at Bonneville. I moved the mechanical fuel injection system on position towards rich (a 1% change) and left the rest of the tuning the same as Junes 1st race. I expected a run of 175 mph. I was pushed off and the 1st gear really took off at about 20 mph, then hit 7200 RPM in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and went thru the traps at 7000 RPM resulting in 181.019 mph for a new record, a minimum of 180 mph was established for this short 1 1/3 mile dirt course. To say the lest, I was excited with this result, it was not expected because of the intense heat. Now Bonneville is next and with this engine running this good, we should get a two way average of 205 mph this August. Well, now I need to clean the race car, trailer and my truck and get setup for Bonneville. We now hold the record at Muroc, El Mirage and Bonneville. Take care, just wanted to share this good news with you all, Dave David Bloomberg

Reply to
Jeff Rice

Well done! Go fast, be safe, and have fun!

Reply to
zoombot

Congratulations David and keep up the great work. WOW, it will be great to have the record at all four sites.

Jeff Rice wrote:

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Reply to
itraseecab

Dave, That is fantastic news. I'm especially excited that you'll have the car at Bonneville. We're really looking forward to the big line-up of Studebaker powered Studebakers!

Bob (Salt-2-Salt)

Reply to
BobWaitz