Deepnhock Follies - September, 2009

Belad we can't post pic's here......
I have a high ceiling in my living room.... (20' or so high to the center ridge beam). Room needs paint.
Ceiling fan lights don't work. Priced buying scaffolding...Whew! Priced renting scaffolding...Whew! Shopped auctions for over a year for some (or a man-lift gizmo) No joy... Saw a tripod deer stand 'on sale' at our local Ag Supply store. Mental gears started grinding... Brought it home and set it up in the living room... Sure looked smaller out in their yard... The thing is HUGE "inside"! <lol> Now I can R&R the ceiling fan setting in a chair, and paint the ceiling in comfort (ha!) And deer season is fast approaching, so I can sell it to a hunter and get some of my money back... (Makes watching football on the widescreen just like setting in the cheap seats at the stadium <gg>) Jeff (Up there waiting for a living room ten pointer to pass by) Rice
How tall is the deer stand? It sounds like something I could use in several places. Paul Johnson

Yes you can post pictures here. . .just some people can't see them.
Did you check the weight limit? Or did you just send up Carrie or one of the kids? <G>
DEEPNHOCK wrote:

Sounds like you made a winning deal on this Jeff...20'-0" high must be something to see...Sent us some pictures of you and the project...What weight /number persons will the stand handle ??
Lansing

snipped......
300 pond max weight limit.... It gets a tad oogie climbing up there, but once there it is comfortable and real solid setting in the seat. For my job, having the three lega about two foot shorter would be good. Am going to postpone installing the new ceiling fan until after the painting gets done. No sense fighting the thing around the fan. Put a cardboard pad underneath the legs and it slides around easily by justone person. It's not the ideal setup... A scaffold would be better... But this was $400+ less money than a scaffold setup that high, and I can sell it easily when the job is done... I can see the ad now. "Tripod tree stand. Used once. Never been outdoors" Probably bring the cops looking for the wife <lol>... Jeff

Good that means I can get up there and jump around a bit!
DEEPNHOCK wrote:

After another glorious weekend of painting...... All I can say is.........................
Well........ Finally finished painting the (danged popcorn...grrrr....) ceiling in the living room.... Spent Sunday touching up a couple of places, and...... Spent three glorious hours putting up the new ceiling fan. This one has a whiz-bang remote control (which is a good thing, as the fan is 16' + up in the air.... the ceiling is 24') But... The 'light' is controlled by the phazer remote. I want the light controlled by the two wall switches. After sending a question into Hunter (no reply...they were watching the football games Sunday).. I tried one of those 'Ask Us' expert websites.. Site was actually pretty good, as they hooked me up to a master electrician. I had to pay (PayPal) a $9 'deposit' (which was immediately charged BTW) to 'look at' my answer. Well... After five back and forth info exchange e-mails, thier tech bowed out and said he had no answer to my wiring question. I immediately sent off an e-mail telling them NOT to bill me the nine bucks. They sent me a auto-reply saying that a refund could take up to 9 days, but that my 'deposit' could rest there awaiting my next question.. Yeah, right. I replied to give me my money back if they could not answer my question. And..... Surprise! They credited my account an hour later. Then they sent me a survey. I answered it with very positive responses as to their service, but that they were not able to answer my question. Not a bad experience.... But.... I still needed to figure out the wiring. I wanted the light NOT to be controlled by the electronic controller. My solution? I ran two more wires down the down rod tube and snipped the wires to the light and wired them the old fashioned way. Then I taped off the two cut wires. The electronic controller thingie won't know the lights aren't there. Man-o-man... Having that deer stand, with it's comfy seat sure made hooking that heavy ceiling fan a pleasure. Even with the hook to hang it, it was still a hassle to hook everything up. About 9pm last night we disassembled the deer stand and took it outside. Still have one wall and a little trim to finish... But the hard part is done. Worth it? My feet, shoulders, back, and hands say "NFW!"..... My wallet says.. "Sure..What's next!" Thank goodness for Advil..... Jeff