Degree your cam.

I decided to check my cam timing on my car, something I should have done when I built the engine. It sure is a pain to do in the car. Anyway I found it was way off., 8 to 10 crank degrees . Part was my dumb mistake and part was, I suspect, poor manufacturing tolerances on the almuminum timing gear. I had installed it one tooth off, which should have put me 14 degrees out of time. That means that either the cam gear, crank gear or cam grind, or a combination of all were 4 to 6 degrees off .Using an offset key I got it corrected. Don't have it running yet as I am waiting for some other parts. Anyway, always check your cam timing when you build an engine.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno

You are the second person to mention cam timing with the aluminum gear. It seems the repro gear is rumored to be off 6 degrees, a very bad thing if true.

Alex Magdaleno wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

Alex,

Question...on your find.

What "is" the correct cam location and where did you find it?

One "tooth" off is one thing...but the rest of it...it could have been designed that way!?

I'd like to see in print of, where the intake lobe is supposed to be in relation to the crankshaft. Most are in the 105 to 108 degree location.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I used the specs from the cam grinder. For my Isky Cam, @.050 lift it should be at 6 degrees BTDC and closing at 42 degrees ABDC. I was at 14 and 32. My car ran strong but should run even stronger now, with the power range moved up 600-800 RPM.

Reply to
Alex Magdaleno