Shipping a deck lid

Any suggestions on a freight co. for shipping a deck lid? Or does FedEx or UPS have an over sze package program? Thanks!

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

Go Greyhound!

Mark

65 Cruiser
- Roseland FL wrote:> Any suggestions on a freight co. for shipping a deck lid? Or does FedEx> or UPS have an over sze package program? Thanks!
Reply to
Mark Anderson

Reply to
oldcarfart

The hound has really jacked up their rates in recent months to keep up with the competition. I took a Lark bumper down to Fedex last week, and they wanted $70.00 to send it to NC, so I went to Greyhound, & they wanted $52.50. The #@*& thing only weighed 13 lbs. for petes sake.

Reply to
Barry

Reply to
JTlark63

Reply to
JTlark63

I called DHL. The maximum a box can be is 56 X 36 X 25. I will measure tonight after work, but I don't think the 36 will work on a Hawk hood. I think it is wider than that.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Michael - Roseland FL

fed ex large? believe is the branch --Shiva--

Reply to
me

Finally I can offer some technical advice in this section. I have been in the logistics biz for a very long time. If your not in a hurry use Greyhound. If you are in a hurry go to the UPS store or Mail Boxes Etc or one of those packing and shipping companies and let them pack it and move it on Fed-X or UPS. While DHL is the lowest cost provider, I would only use them with small packages (less than 50 lbs). Up until a few mergers ago I would of said the same about UPS and Fed-X, but they have now complimented their small pack services very well by a few nice acquisitions.

If I can make another suggestion, get set up with an account with a small pack carrier and an LTL carrier if you are doing any type of consistent shipping. It gets extremely costly when you need to move something, your in a time pinch and your calling for a quote without an account number. Especially for air freight post Sept 11th. Also when setting up an account check to see what the guidelines are on oversize rules and oversize fees, and if there are additional charges for a residential p/u / residential delivery and if your are paying extra for a beyond pickup or beyond delivery. This charge is for zip codes that are not in major metro areas. By far in terms of equipment (trucks) UPS and Fed-X have the largest amount of ground equipment in the U.S. Take care.

Reply to
58packardwagon

Don't use UPS. Maybe somebody has had good luck with them shipping big stuff, but not me. They crunch and smash and then Deny deny deny.....

Them deck lids are made of unobtanuim, so wrap it well, crate it, then pick a carrier.

If I had to do crating, I would scrounge around tractor supply or mortorcycle dealerships for material to adapt.

Mark (No you got $.02 worth) Dunning

Reply to
markshere2