DG-250 Band Adjustment?

Does anybody have advice on how to adjust the bands on a DG-250 without the special BW tool? I was told to snug them up and then back off four (4) turns

- which seems so loose that the anchor strut is falling off. Thanks

Reply to
bruceg

I think the correct Amount of turns is 1 and 1/2. One band needs a

1/4" spacer under it before adjusting. But I am drawing from a feeble memory of a Motors Manual. NT
Reply to
nthornton

I'm pretty sure that is correct for a Flightomatic; not sure if a DG is the same or not (never had one of those.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Per the 1961 edition of the Motor's Auto Repair Manual, they show the Studebaker special tool being used to adjust the DG. They do mention that there are cases where the special tool cannot be used, due to clearance problems. Therefore they suggested backing the screw off four turns. (I see where that now comes from.) I have mine backed off two turns, with no fluid burning or dragging. Fingers crossed. KK

Reply to
keith_kichefski

I use the side thickness of an open-end 9/16" wrench for the spacer tool, I am finding it hard to explain but once you see it done it makes sense. Once you have a wrench that measures close to 1/4" thick and is long or short enough to do the job well just hit it with a quick douche of orange/red/wtf color paint to save time hunting it in the future,

Reply to
oldcarfart