Drove the new driver

Got the new '63 up and running today...started in less than 5 seconds cranking...a little smoky at first, been sitting a while...needs new accelerator pump in carb., needs headlight switch replaced. I have a new one . What is the easiest way to replace the headlight switch? Stude repair manual not much help in this regard.

Reply to
8Njim

Hmm....If I remember that switch is a bit of a pain...I think they would like you to pull the dash (!) but I did the last one from under after removing the seat and laying on a blanket. There is a little panel under the switch that you can remove but it isn't a lot of help. Also check your dimmer switch if you are experiencing lights flickering on and off as they go bad a lot. Check the connections at the dimmer switch too! Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George

Thanks George , I had not thought about the dimmer switch being bad. I thought I would have to pull the dash. I drove the car earlier and had nice pick up on the way out from the house...u-turned and I thought I was dragging an anchor on the way back...barely reached

60mph on the way home....nearly 80 headed out...
Reply to
8Njim

easy and '63 headlight switch replacement are mutually exclusive :) I know I've done it before but I don't remember how.

are you sure that it is the headlight switch? Are the lights not working at all? I'd probe the connector at the dimmer switch before diving in, just in case it's not the dash switch at all.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

And don't forget the circuit breakers. They tend (like me) to get a little cranky after forty-plus years. A very liberal dose of WD-40 cured my headlight problems on an old Lark...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Try a very generous dose of WD-40. Almost every electrical (connectivity) problem I've had with cars has been fixed or at least isolated with this stuff.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Good to see you back here Nate... Hows the new house?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

took out the dimmer switch and replaced it with one out of my bone yard...lights work great....THANKS GEORGE! Also got the wiper going...turned on the switch then wiggled the wipers a little and now they work... plan to get it inspected next week and start driving it daily... Found the auto trans is about a quart OVER filled! Gotta drain some out....one of the causes of my sluggish acceleration?

Reply to
8Njim
Reply to
Jerry Forrester

AHH, my 60 Hawk SITTING shows overfull, not running.. as per instructions on checking.

another thing, a can of STP in tranny helped the shifting greatly. and yes there was a TSB or some such on using this.

--Shiva--

Reply to
me

Glad the lights are working now. As Nate also reminded, be sure and check/clean the connections at the dimmer switch. Sometimes they need a little "tightening up". Pretty scary driving down a country road at night and the lights go out...BTDT! Studebaker George

Reply to
Studebaker George