Car starting has become erratic -- 2004 nissan sentra

Lately, sometimes it starts right up, but about half the time I find myself giving the gas pedal a couple pumps to make the engine turn over. those times, even though i haven't done anything different, the engine won't start unless i feed it some additional gas by pumping the gas pedal about twice.

it's odd to me in that rather than starting becoming hard all the time or just impossible, it's unpredictable.

does it sound like starter problem? something else? thks in advance

Reply to
None

the fuel pressure is bleeding down after the car sits for a while.

Nissan has a TSB for this problem.

Reply to
NissTech

Check the fuel pressure and particularly that the fuel is not draining back into the tank - per testing instructions in factory service manual.

If that is not the problem, check for proper operation of IAC valve and PCV valve and associated air passages (engine idle air supply).

Reply to
Bill

None wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z9g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

How many miles on it, and have you ever changed the fuel filter and or spark plugs?

Reply to
chuckcar