Drove three Studebakers today

A friend called me last night to ask a favor. He wanted me to pick up his 59 H/T from the shop and drive it to his house and take his new red 62 H/T in to be repaired. A 15 min. drive to the repair shop 1

1/2 hr. drive to his house and another 1 1/2 hr. drive back to the shop. A nice little road trip driving Studebakers(my car is a 55 pres coupe). Oh and by the way did I have a carb that would fit the 62? He knew I did so I said sure what's wrong with yours. Well his rebuilt carb doesn't seem to work very well. He is not much good with a wrench. So this morning I loaded up my tools, a almost new carb (I have seen some real horror able carb rebuilds) and plenty of parts and drove to the repair shop to pick up the 59. Great car had a very enjoyable ride. In front of his house sat a nice looking red 62 H/T . I knew he was looking for one but didn't know he had bought one already. He told me the story of the car and I looked at him and said you of all people should know better. He Sells motor homes. A car salesman! I have heard this low mileage story a thousand times. None, Let me repeat, NONE have been true. I have not seen a real low mileage Studebaker since 1968. I have heard this Dealership story at least 6 times in the past 3 years.(Car found sitting for years in back building of some dealer). Another E-Bay car. His Third one(you would think after the first two he would of learned) and the seventh one I have seen this year. Will people never learn. We started it up, well almost, tried again, again would not idle barley ran at higher rpm. Opened the hood, took off the air cleaner and there sat a old carb that looks like one I have sitting out side in the scrap pile. Here is a nice looking car with new looking interior a good Macco ($395)paint job and under the air cleaner sits a ( I'm trying to be nice), scrap carb. It looked so out of place. Anyway I changed it to a almost new fully tested carb and to my surprise it ran pretty good. So off I went hoping for the best. I made it back to the shop ok but did notice a transmission noise and a drive line vibration and a bad clunk in the right front. Those will have to be check out later along with other smaller things like doors and windows that don't work correctly. Will also have to find out why it almost over heated (top of gauge, 90 degree day, at a steady 63 mph). It was an interesting day. Drove two different Studes did a little mech. work, waved at all the thumbs up people. and had a good time. I will say you don't get much for $14,000 and who ever rebuilt that carb should be ashamed of himself. bob
Reply to
55pres

Damn if that does not sound like N8's old car except his was a real low mileage car, documented by Rene at Phantom, the carb was a rebuilt unit off ebay, and N8 paid $2500 for the paint after we stripped the car down. ( Not MAACO, but clearcoat/color coat) Besides, his carb was off N8's 55 and still had the rebuild sticker on it and ran fine. Other than that, it was red, did sell for the BIN of 14K and was a 62, quite a coincidence. The new owner of N8's old car is delighted with his car, but did say the carb would not idle when it was delivered, another coincidence. I've found blowing out the idle screw holes usually clears out any dirt that finds it's way in.

55pres wrote:
Reply to
John Poulos

Some one must have taken the rebuilt unit, no rebuild sticker just an old Afb. Oh and the carb gasket was on backwards, small ports in the rear. Nice job. Shame, Shame. N8 better get a new paint shop.Rust bubbles under the paint doesn't =$2500. I just call them like I see them. I have no vested interest in the car. I am not working on the car. I'm just the delivery man. The owner loves the car. It's pretty. Some one better check on Rene. I have seen bogus doc's and a lot of tall tails. This tails is as old as I am and that's pretty old. I am serious that carb was junk. You should check on what happened. Some one stole that rebuilt carb and replaced it. bob

Reply to
55pres

E-mail a pix of the carb, the one that left on the car did not look like it came off "a scrap pile". Now That I know it was N8's car, I'd sure like to hear the complaints from the new owner, I'd have sent him a new carb if the one on the car was "scrap".

55pres wrote:
Reply to
John Poulos

If that's my car, it shouldn't be over heating, it ran right at the middle of the gauge or one tick above at all times, which should correspond to 170-180F. I did flush the block out pretty good but as with all studebakers, there's likely more stuff in there. I never did recore the radiator, which AFAIK is original.

nate

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

Also the doors fit like crap from the factory. I know exactly what you're talking about, the bottom corner of each door is slightly proud of the rear quarter; that's the way it was when I got the car and I was kind of hoping the body shop would fix the door alignment. I didn't try to fix it myself as I didn't feel comfortable prying on fresh paint. that's genuine Studebaker panel fit there! the only panel I had off the car was the trunk lid; I replaced it with NOS because the original had some dents in the back and it looked like it would cost more to fix that than the $50 for a NOS one from SASCO.

The windows should work fine, although one regulator does feel a little "crunchy." Both were DOA when I got the car; one I was able to lube to work correctly, the other had to be pieced together with GT Hawk parts (NOS regulators for a hardtop Lark are unobtanium) and actually felt like a new regulator. Certainly shouldn't have to help the windows up with your hand.

nate

N8N wrote:

Reply to
N8N

As I said the new owner loves the car. Of course he only drove it a few miles before the carb went bad, but hey it's pretty. As for the rest, the carb IS SCRAP. I only said that doors and windows didn't work correctly. I didn't say they fit crappy. I didn't say the window regulators were DOA, Crunchy or pieced together. all I said was they didn't work right. As far as the over heating goes all I can say is what happened. I have no reason to lie. As I said I have no interest in the car, I'm not working on the car. I'm just telling it the way I found it. As for the age. windows regulators worn out. door strikers badly worn. So the car sat, nobody drove it, but someone opened and closed the doors, rolled the windows up and down just for fun? You want a picture of the carb? sure I'll stop by today and see If I can get a few and post them. Personal attacks are wrong. Calling me a liar before knowing all the facts is wrong. bob

Reply to
55pres

I don't have a dog in this fight, but the comment about the $395 Maaco paint job was a below the belt kick.

Mark

65 Cruiser
55pres wrote:
Reply to
Mark Anderson

Then why are you doing it?

He didn't call you a liar. He said you called him a liar.

Sorry guys, but I don't think you'll be able to kill this thread with a bazooka. Bob will see to that.

Dave

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

I've known several 'Bobs' - they're that 'friend' who's an 'expert' at anything who makes damn sure you aren't proud of whatever he doesn't have.

Reply to
Pat Drnec

Bob As you said, "It's not my car, but the owner seems happy with it". You opened a can of worms and with innuendos, half truths and possible defamation. Would you care to enlighten as to why you did so and at the same time reveal your identity. Curios minds want to know. Ron Butts

Reply to
Ron Butts

I don't have a hard time imagining that someone tried to work the windows after the car sat for years and that they were rusted, bound up and stripped. I've seen this happen on quite a few cars. Don't really recall the condition of the door strikers, but they are pot metal or aluminum - they wear.

As a PO of this car I have no problem believing the story about it sitting for years. When I got it there was some promotional keychain hanging from the keys in the ignition with a calendar on it - it's in the glovebox, you can see what month/year it was on. Also all of the stuff in the glovebox was in the car when I got it - the box of cookies that was shoved above the sunvisor, the tire patch kit, etc. I kept the flashlight, sorry... (actually didn't realize I'd done it until I found it in my toolbox.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote: N8 I found out from Rene the car was full of trash when they picked it up, including a 100 year old shot gun. Yes, there was a battery on the floor in the back seat as we suspected. Rene admitted that they probably stripped out the one regulator trying to roll up the window after 30 plus years in the basement garage. The old guy that owned it sat on a chair watching them unload the car and after a bit, turned to his wife and asked "Did we sell the Studebaker ?" Besides the 56 Packard rag top he had a Matador (go figure) with fewer miles then the Daytona among others.

Reply to
John Poulos

I got something you can bob, mr. troll

Reply to
oldcarfart

Your name suites you. Say hello to little bob.

Reply to
55pres

If it was a Matador *coupe...*

nate

(child of the 70's)

John Poulos wrote:

Reply to
N8N

I think that's a beautiful car. I chatted with Nate about buying his car over a year ago but just didn't have the cash at the time. I would have bought that in a heartbeat if the pocketbook would have allowed.

Mark

65 Cruiser
N8N wrote:
Reply to
Mark Anderson

When you buy a non professionally restored car and pay top dollar you expect certain things. The doors, window ,bumps, clangs, rattles you expect. You know there will be things that you will need to sort out. You also expect it to run half way decent. Sure you may have to tune it up do some adjusting and tweak a few things, but it should run. What you do not expect is a car that runs badly. One with a old, incorrect, broken, with pieces missing, carb and possibly a rag floating around in the gas tank. That is the type of thing you would expect in a fixer upper not a top dollar car. You would also expect that if a painter screwed up a $2500 dollar paint job, that the painter would fix it not the new buyer. You would not expect Maaco to fix a few minor flaws in a $395 dollar paint job. When buying and selling cars your reputation depends on your attention to detail. Selling fixer uppers ones expectations are low selling high dollar cars expectations are higher and attention to details are greater. This high dollar car did not meet those expectations. I am sure that the seller is a good and honest man. I just think in this case he didn't pay enough attention to the details. To all of his defenders you should let him deal with it. By jumping on the complainer you are making people afraid to disagree or complain. You mean well but you give us lurkers the impression that this Ng is for the good old boys and no one is allowed to disagree or complain. Friend disagree and complain to each other all the time. Why should it be different hear. I know I'm not a friend I'm just a Troll a shit stirrer I don't have the right to question or complain. I have no right to voice my opinion this is your news group and people like me need to go away.

Reply to
55pres

No one would object to the owner complaining, but he is not. He hit the buy it now because the bidding was going nuts and he'd likely have had paid more. You feel the car was not worth the money, and that's fine, but you were not bidding. I felt a little guilty when my 63 R2 Lark sold for 25K because even I thought that was too much money, but the new owner then did not. That's is not the case with N8's car since you could not replicate it for anywhere near the winning bid. N8 owned the car for

3-4 years and spent more time detailing a A frame for example then I would on the entire chassis The owner knows if he has any disappointments he can contact me, but the fact that you don't think he bought a decent car for the price is of no importance to me. The picking apart of his car is just not fair to the new owner. He's at a RV show this week, but I'm sure he'll speak to you about it when he gets back. If you'd have bought the car, I'd refunded your money and have had it back on ebay by now. Like I said before, if you feel you can pay more attention to detail, find better cars and resell them cheaper than me, I welcome the competition. With over 200 ebay Studebaker sales, you are my only dissatisfied non buyer.

55pres wrote:

Reply to
John Poulos

A Crappy carb, rag material in the fuel system and rust bubbles under the paint. Those are the facts. All the rest is excuses and justifications. Deal with it. End of thread.

Reply to
55pres