Electric problem . . . (second post try)

Tried posting this early today so I'm trying again with the update. . . .

Turn out so far not to be a ground problem or loose wire.

Check out all the wiring and it was all nice and tight. So on Friday I was going to go to the car show and the damn thing acted like the battery was out. So I took the cover off again and removed the optima battery and took it over to a parts store and found out the battery had a bad cell. So I went back to the shop and took out the alternator and had it tested. And found out the diodes went bad taking out the battery. So I got a rebuilt one so I could swap out the guts and still have my chrome casing as I was removing the casing I notice that the casing had 3 diodes press into it too. So Plan B I ordered a New Chrome and had it delivered by 5 the next day. Plans was to get this one in the truck and go to the Nude Car Show on Sunday. Got it in on Saturday a few minutes after five along with the new Optima battery hit the key and the battery sound on the low side but had a full charge. Now I was thinking back trying to remember if this was the Truck original starter or did I get it with the motor I got from Nimesh? Jeff said that I never got a starter from him so it was the original truck starter and I never took the time to rebuild this one. So Sunday instead of going to a car show I went and order a rebuild kit for the starter from NAPA which is showing up today. Show be on the road tonight. So which went first the starter or alternator or battery ?

A new car having the same problems, I would be over $1000 for the repair bill

Studebaker is a cheap thing to run by comparison.

Update:

Got to Napa and the kit I ordered was missing half the parts including 3 brushes. So I asked if they had just the brushes and they had them. So I got just the brushes. Went back the shop and 15 minutes later everything was back together. Waited until 5:00 to put the starter back in and it fired right up! Sweet! Had a little problem with the Alternator fan scraping on the bracket as it turned. So I adjusted it a little more and got that to quit but I will be grinding a little more on the bracket to make sure nothing hits while going down the road. Note when I took all the brushes out one was a little worn more then the others. In fact it was worn back into the screw head. I guess I should have rebuilt this one when I first got the truck. . . Well now it's done and everything has been redone at least once to the Transtar. And he is a Happy Camper!

Rick Courtier

Reply to
Rick Courtier

Rick, I just had a GERD moment reading you were going to be in a nude car show, yuck!

Reply to
oldcarfart

Calvin,

You don't have to worry about me running around naked. . . I don't have mirror in my house because I don't want to see any fat red headed naked guy. And at the Nude Resort I'm sure they have a law about it too. Hell I even cover my hair with a hat! Unlike some Studebaker nuts that like to show off skin and Studebaker war wounds at the top of their heads.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtier

You must be talking about that Rice guy.

Dave Lester

Reply to
Dave's Place www.davesplaceinc

Most likely!!!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Yeah, but we have bloody pic's of ol' Dave's head... (Oh, in Okleeehoma it's called a 'hayudd' Jeff

"Dave's Place wrote:..

Reply to
Jeff Rice