Engine possibly for sale in San Diego

A never-installed engine fell off a trailer in San Diego the other day. If you're interested, contact National Shipbuilging in SD.

Bring a heavy-duty lift. (The engine weight is 172 tons)

Reply to
Former Coventry resident

odds are it did not bounce worth a shit, eh?

Reply to
oldcarfart

Reply to
Former Coventry resident

The roadway giving way acted as somehat of a dampner, as did the vehicles being crushed.

I hope that the trucking line has insurance and the Navy doesn't need that ship in a hurry.

Karl

Reply to
Former Coventry resident

Phrases from 7/30 newspaper

200-ton ship engine Three cranes and dozens of engineer take five hours to lift from eight-foot hole ...falling engine crushed three cars, broke the pavement and snapped the water line. ....700 foot long military cargo ship Karl
Reply to
Former Coventry resident

Just what WAS that engine?

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Four or six of them go on that supply ship. It isn't a Waukashau (spelling is poor, but I used to "advise" engineers on their use for power plants, sewage treatment, etc for the Boston distributor. Maybe a Fairbanks-Morse? (I think that they are in Wisconsin.)

Under Amstradam, there is a generator diesel with cylinders big enough to stand in that uses the watersystem of that city fpr cooling the water. This was in use in the 1960s.

Reply to
Former Coventry resident

San Dego Unioo Tribune excerpts 7/31/07

"tried to deliver load through wrong gate"

"He was backing up, hit a curb and it started tipping"

"diesel-electric engine" (I guess that he means an engine and generator in a package)

"The trailer was equipped with a hydraulic system designed to keep heavy loads level. However, once the trailer wheels hit the curb, neithetr the hydraulics nor the chains securing the the engine wee emugh to keep the load stable. The hydraulics were trying to level it (but) it started tipping back and forth, and it fell." (This is not the best edited item the uT has run.)

9The unit is F-M, as I thought it might be.

Karl, From the home of Duke Cunningham and Duncan Hunter

Reply to
Former Coventry resident

The Engine is a Fairbanks Morse built MAN 48/60 9 cylinder engine rated at Approx. 11,950 HP @ 520 RPM. When installed it will turn a Generator, but was not shipped withe Gen set. The 48/60 means a 480 CM bore and a 600 CM Hope you guys have a good day.stroke

Reply to
turbo stude