F'n J-Hook

Went to a parade with the '54 Saturday. I suspect it will be my last parade. They staged us in a dirt parking lot. The Vintage Air "Monster Fan" picked up every speck of dirt within a quarter mile, and deposited it in the engine compartment. Tonight, while DWG'ing the engine compartment, I had another encounter with the J hook.

Usually, it gets me coming up and out.

This evening, it caught me going down and in.

Geez, I hate that thing!

I should have used the protector StudeBob sent me!

Reply to
Dave's Place

I'm not laughing...I'm not laughing...I'm not laughing...I'm not laughing... Jeff

"Dave's Place" wrote...

***
Reply to
Jeff Rice

Dave maybe you could use one of those helmets that they used when transfering patients to Vinita mental hospital. (G)

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Don't lie to me, Daddy Rabbit!

Reply to
Dave's Place

That's not funny, 'cause I have to instruct a LE class the next two days, and I set my cottin' pickin' helmet on the desk, not 5' from where the "incident" occurred, so that I would remember to pack it in the morning. I hate to scratch my helmet, but I do wish I had been wearing it.

Reply to
Dave's Place

How about dangling a piece of radiator hose under the hood, next to the grille so you'll see the damn thing and put it on the hook?

(or clip it to the fan shroud, painted yellow, Mr Safetyman?)

(I showed up to give a safety lecture with torn trousers and a bloody knee showing through; I didn't see the curb (Kerb, actually, as this was in England) and fell off it into the gravel - a box of aids blocked my view.)

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Well, just so's you know you're not alone, I ripped a chunk out my scalp on the hood edge of that '64 Daytona I brought home from California. These have a pretty square corner on the front of the hood, and the metal of the top surface wraps down over the front, and back under, thus forming the lip that meets the top of the grille. At the corners of the hood this portion of the metal has a fairly sharp edge, and that's what got me.

So I feel yer pain...

Gord Richmond

Reply to
Gordon Richmond

Hey there really are advantages of being short, Did you ever try to make the prop rod longer? i made a longer stainless one for my 55 wagon, made it 5" longer but had to cut 4" of it back off cause it was too long to fit between the fenders, only gained an inch. But an inch can help in lots of places,

Bob Whiten Wagonmaster

Wagonmaster

Would adding a hinge to the rod (like an old style crank on a bottle wind up jack ) be possible ? Unfold the last bit of the rod , slide the locking tube up in place , and instant hood height increase, and the rod fits under the closed hood.

Freddy (thinking aloud again)

Reply to
Freddy Badgett

Get rid of the dayam thing (J-hook)! Drill a couple of holes in the hood and put some hood pins ala-69MachI on Sheba.

Reply to
Loy Daniel

Dave after hearing all your problems with that J-hook when I was putting Pinky together I made a prop rod about 3-4 inches longer than stock. It works good the J-hook hasn't got me yet. I am working on a friends 53 Studealac copy and with his stock prop rod I need to be very careful. I have come close to getting it several times.

Reply to
Jerry

an inch can help in

Thats what she said

Reply to
Bill Glass

Reply to
Robert Black

Is the J-hook properly grounded?

That may be the problem.

Karl

Reply to
midlant

Dave, stick an old tennis ball on the end of the prop rod and put it on the offender when you open the hood. You could even paint it red.

Dustybob

Reply to
Dustybob

we need to start issueing "purple heart medals" for these injuries.......

Reply to
markansas859

I was sorta thinkin' of Darwin awards...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Great suggestion, as were others. I've been out of pocket for a couple of days, my butt is dragging... so, I won't take the time right now to respond to all of the great responses/suggestions.

The thing is, I always think I can get by, "This time." Yeah, right.

Reply to
Dave's Place