Find the Starlite

Wonder if that was a "Barn Find" as well. Must be the way to sell as the Packard was listed like that too.

Dave B

Reply to
mcavanti

Must be. I wonder if ebay has people doing marketing studies. I think those catck phrases work to a point. Still nothing helps sell like a good picture. If I think back to the truly good buys I've got from ebay, they were very simple and easy to over look with none of those embellishing words at all. Just kinka stumble on 'em. Maybe not even looking for that particular item when I ran across it.

As far as barn finds, the closest I ever came to scoring the big one was just after I graduated (autobody) trade school in '88. I had a job at an ambulance factory a couple towns away. The drive was through rural NW Ohio. I was always rubbernecking for old cars. One day I saw tall tail fins sticking out from behind a huge barn. I wondered at it for a few days and even slowed down to see what it was. I could never quite tell so one day I stopped. I went to the house and knocked. No answer. On the way back to the car I could see two 1920's cars in the barn. I stopped a couple more times and each time I got the feeling someone was there, they just didn't answer. I stopped once more when the daily use car seemed to be gone. I went back around the barn an there she was. A 1957 Lincoln Premier convertible. It looked like it had been there for 30 years. Rust rust rust. Thinking it was cool, a quick check of the price guide got my heart pounding. A #5 parts car was worth just under 10k. Wow. I had no idea as I was all about Stude's. Of course I thought I could get it for $500. I stopped in again. No answer. I got so close as to get the owners name. Her nephew was a friend of a friend and heard me talking about it. He told me he would ask her about a price for me. A month later it was gone.

Reply to
Rat Hawk